HDTV1080P is online now Member

Default Pioneer Elite BDP-88FD 3-D Blu-ray player also has 4K upscaling

This new Pioneer Elite BDP-88FD 3-D Blu-ray player also has 4K upscaling. Plays SACD's and DVD-Audio discs. Also has a dual HDMI output. Looks like a quality product in terms of build quality with a list price of $2,000. I hope that a professional review in the future will compare it to the $599 OPPO BDP-103D.

Single Sheet

The Limey is offline Member

My own experience of this player is that it is excellent basically - fantastic picture and sound. While it is undoubtedly a Pioneer BDP, there does seem to be some Oppo influence in its menu and layout though...
    TV - LG 65G6v OLED
    Panasonic UB900 UHD, Pioneer BDP-LX88 (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Onkyo DV-HD805, Toshiba XE1
    Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX90/SC-09TX Susano
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Surround - 3 x B&W DM-601 S3
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Floorstanding - 2 x JBL ES100

According to the Sound and Vision magazine the $2,000 Pioneer BDP-88FD Universal Blu-ray player does a better job of upscaling to 4K when compared to the 4K upscaling in the $10,000 Sony VPL-VW350ES 4K projector.

In regards to native 4K streaming from an external source, it does look better than 1080P Blu-ray according to the review, however one needs a big screen like a projector to appreciate and notice the improved resolution detail. 4K optical discs and native 4K Blu-ray players with higher video bit rates should arrive in 2016+. In theory 4K Blu-ray should be the king in terms of picture quality (will need to be verified once native 4K optical discs become a reality) .

The following are select quotes from the Sound and Vision magazine website

“I started out my evaluation of the VPL-VW350ES by watching Blu-rays using Pioneer’s new BDP-88FD universal player, with the player first feeding the Sony straight 1080p and then upscaling the signal to 4K resolution.”

Comparing the Pioneer player’s 4K upscaling with the Sony’s, the Pioneer had a definite edge (for $2,000, it had better), though the VPL-VW350ES was also no slouch in the scaling department.”

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-vpl-vw350es-4k-sxrd-projector-review-page-2

I have recently bought an LG 65EC970V OLED TV and have hooked up the BDP-LX88 to that screen. For the first time, I am able to take advantage of the player's awesome upscaling ability to 4K which combined with a 4K OLED TV gives a sublime result:

Star Wars:

Elysium:
    TV - LG 65G6v OLED
    Panasonic UB900 UHD, Pioneer BDP-LX88 (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35

Journey to the Centre of the Earth:
    TV - LG 65G6v OLED
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35

TV - LG 65G6v OLED
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Out of curiosity, does not the tv upscale everything anyway? Have you done a comparison to see which one looks better?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Yes all 4K displays upscale everything to the sets native 4K resolution if a external device does not do it. Native 4K material is much better then upscaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Out of curiosity, does not the tv upscale everything anyway? Have you done a comparison to see which one looks better?
    Yes I let the TV handle this for a day or so but the Pioneer upscaling is noticeably better. To be fair it was impressive when I tested the unit in a shop demo theatre prior to purchase back in January.
    TV - LG 65G6v OLED
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35

Sound and Vision magazine has written an excellent review on the Pioneer Elite BDP-88FD Blu-ray player. Click the following link to read the complete review.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-player-review