Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Default Sony 2013/2014 model questions

Guys I need to pick at yer brains a bit as I am ready to make the plunge into buying a region-modded Sony player but am unsure of really which one to get. I have a bit of confusion so help me out here if you know the answers. And this decision comes down to facing sticker shock and buying an Oppo 103D with region mod or buying something functional and more affordable.

I have had Samsungs mostly my Blu-Ray ownership but am not overly impressed with the choices for all zone/all region versions.
    First, I am considering the BDP-S3200, BDP-S5100, BDP-S5200 or BDP-S6200.

If I understand correctly, the 5100 is a 2013 model, the rest are 2014 models.

Is it really true that a moderately priced model like the 6200 does NOT have internal memory so a rear USB flash drive is needed to support this? Is this true of all 4 models here?

The 6200 claims to have a dual-core processor but honestly speaking, my Samsung was never considered slow!

Does only the 6200 model have an actual front display?

When they switched from the 5100 to the 5200, did I see they removed an HDMI from it?

Is the 3200 essentially the same exact unit as the 5200, just not 3D capable.

Avsforum mentions that the 6200 Decodes DTS-HD Master Audio and outputs all channels, does this mean the other 3 models do not decode this format, downsamples them to 2 channels or ??

I know Shannon had a Sony of some sort, and SOD bought the 5100 but not from the same dealer I am considering, which lists it as firmware upgradeable.

Thanks!
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

I should add that the Oppo 103/103D are possibilities in my budget, even if I wait til tax refund arrives, but honestly speaking, my expectation is that I insert disc, it displays as it should and doesn't take forever to load, oh and of course doesn't peter out in 6 months or a year or three. So spend $200 or $700 for essentially the same functionality. Yeah, the Darbee might count for something but is not a deal breaker.

Wow - nobody has any Sony player experience.

It's all good - I will be using part of my Federal Return on an Oppo 103D. Using the 10% bonus that Amazon is offering on e-gift cards. The mod for the Oppo is about $100 and is a DIY. For such a pricey unit though, I wonder if I should save the miles on it and use it for only imports or use it as my primary as it has the Darbee in it.

Boston007 is offline Member

Get the 103. I have the 103 and I absolutely love the player

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Get the 103. I have the 103 and I absolutely love the player
    Yep , actually going to buy in on the 103 D model. Based on a few reputable reviews the D does indeed improve things. Now the next question is, which mod to get. I probably prefer the internal one. Looks like though the firmware updates from Oppo makes it more difficult to switch zones. It used to be as simple as pressing 1, 2 or 3 while the unit was powered off. Now there's multiple steps.

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Yep , actually going to buy in on the 103 D model. Based on a few reputable reviews the D does indeed improve things. Now the next question is, which mod to get. I probably prefer the internal one. Looks like though the firmware updates from Oppo makes it more difficult to switch zones. It used to be as simple as pressing 1, 2 or 3 while the unit was powered off. Now there's multiple steps.
    Yes, I have http://www.bluraychip.dk/ and had no problems installing it inside.

To change regions you have to go to setup and hit X-X-# where # is the region 1 2 or 3 you want.

Thanks, have this company bookmarked as well as JVB.
    Have seen instructions saying to press Dimmer Dimmer Dimmer X X * and the zone # on one mod. It said for older firmware it was a simple 1 2 3 during standby mode.

Do you have the regular or PRO kit?