HDTV1080P is offline Member

Default LG BP540 3-D Blu-ray player (Sound and Vision magazine review link)

LG BP540 3-D Blu-ray player (Sound and Vision magazine review link)

Like many low cost Blu-ray players, the LG BP540 does not have any dedicated internal memory for BD-LIVE (a minimum of 1GB is needed for BD-LIVE). To use the BD-LIVE feature an external USB flash drive or USB hard drive must be plugged into the front USB port (USB drive must be a minimum of 1GB and formatted as FAT32 in order to use the BD-LIVE feature). Cosmetically it would have been ideal to include a USB port on the rear of this Blu-ray player, however LG only offers a front USB port on the BP540.

Like many low cost Blu-ray players around $130 list price, the LG BP540 does not have any analog audio outputs. Therefore, a modern display with a HDMI input is needed.Those that own an older non HDMI display with a DVI input will need a surround sound system in order to hear audio (HDMI to DVI adapter is needed for video). Coaxial audio offers legacy lossy audio for older surround sound systems and HDMI offers lossless audio for modern surround sound systems.

The LG BP540 passed all the video benchmark tests according to the review, which is a strong positive achievement for LG. I hope that next year LG will improve on its DVD upscaling quality. DVD upscaling is better quality on an OPPO, Sony, and Panasonic Blu-ray players.

The following are select word for word quotes from the Sound and Vision magazine review

“As with some other budget Blu-ray players I’ve tried, the BP540’s user interface is slow compared with the higher-priced competition.”

“The BP540 sailed through all of our benchmark tests—even the challenging 2:2 cadence test—but its prowess as a DVD upscaler was some what middling.”

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 12-18-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

$130 is not a low cost player. With that being said, they cheaped out on the memory for BD Live. Seriously!?? What would 1GB have cost them to integrate? 30 cents maybe?

I went through TWO BD570's, BOTH failed after 90 days of light use. Coincidentally, the warranty period for labor is ... 90 days.

My two cents would be to AVOID LG at all costs, at least for Blu Ray players.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

HDTV1080P is offline Member

I normally only recommend OPPO and Sony Blu-ray players. In addition, I like some older model 2010 Panasonic Blu-ray players for those that need legacy 1080i component video outputs (Some of the newer Panasonic Blu-ray players have gotten so low cost that they have removed some nice features compared to old models, like the front SDXC card slot).

In the past there were issues with Samsung and LG Blu-ray players, however every year according to the professional reviews those issues are improving.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    In the past there were issues with Samsung and LG Blu-ray players, however every year according to the professional reviews those issues are improving.
    Many professional reviews do not go 90 days or beyond though.

I still have to laugh at how Samsung players in the past failed miserably on certain tests but in real-world playback, aced it. My first Samsung is a 1500.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"