Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default Oppo 103D with Darbee Visual Presence processing

Great to see a new player due from Oppo but intriguingly this unit makes use of DarbeeVision technology:

DarbeeVision Licenses Visual Presence to World Class Blu-ray Maker:
    OPPO Digital's BDP 103D - World's First Darbee Visual Presence Enabled Blu-ray Player
    SANTA ANA, CA--(Marketwired - Sep 16, 2013) - As a major licensing win for home entertainment system products, DarbeeVision, Inc., a pioneer in the field of digital image enhancement, has licensed its Visual Presence™ technology to Mountain View-based OPPO Digital for their Model 103D Blu-ray player. The 103D will provide Visual Presence image enhancement processing in real time, adding Darbee Visual Presence depth, clarity and realism to any video content -- resulting in an unparalleled viewing experience for HD and upscaled HD to 4K video. The first public demonstration of the 103D will be at DarbeeVision's booth #2366, at the CEDIA Expo in Denver, Colorado, Sept. 25-28, 2013. This exciting showcase of the new Blu-ray player will run the duration of the show, and will feature HD and upscaled 4K displayed video content.
    OPPO's products are recognized for their high quality workmanship and performance. Their design approach focuses on the creation of a superior Blu-ray player viewing experience that delivers high value, cutting edge technologies and innovative features -- making them a natural fit to partner with DarbeeVision. "Being selected by OPPO as their new feature is a wonderful confirmation that we provide a high value video enhancement technology. We know that the OPPO platform provides unparalleled image fidelity for a Blu-ray player. Being associated with their 103 Model Blu-ray player system, at the pinnacle of home theater fidelity, guarantees that our processing is being seen at its best," says DarbeeVision, president and COO, Larry Pace. "We are certain that the 103D will produce an un-paralleled viewing experience."
    The BDP-103 Darbee Edition (BDP-103D) is the latest addition to OPPO's award-winning line of Blu-ray Disc™ players. Based on the successful OPPO BDP-103 player and aided by Darbee Visual Presence (DVP) technology, the BDP-103D takes home theater beyond accuracy and brings exceptional depth and realism to the visual experience. Just like the BDP-103, the BDP-103D reproduces video from DVD, Blu-ray, media files, and streaming services with accuracy and fidelity. Beyond that, thanks to the patented DVP technology, the BDP-103D can embed stereoscopic depth cues into the video and deliver an enhanced image when the user turns on one of the three Darbee enhancement modes. The changes made to the video are adjustable so that the result can range from being very subtle to very noticeable, and the DVP technology analyzes the video in real time and enhances visual depth and detail in such a way that it does not alter the calibration of the home theater system. The BDP-103D unifies the often conflicting goals of an ideal home theater: reference quality accuracy to express the filmmaker's original intent, and tweaks to suit the viewer's personal tastes.
    DarbeeVision is offering its Darbee Visual Presence technology for consumer electronics product integrations. Please visit www.darbeevision.com or call 657-600-8241 for more information.
    To learn more, please visit DarbeeVision.com, and DarbeeVision's Facebook.
    About OPPO Digital
    Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.
    With products that speak for themselves and relying on word-of-mouth, OPPO Digital does not have any dedicated Marketing and Sales personnel. We have spent most of all energy on product design and customer service. We pride ourselves on servicing all our customers right here in Mountain View, California.

About DarbeeVision
    DarbeeVision Inc. was founded by Paul Darbee and Larry Pace to commercialize system products, discrete hardware and embedded solutions based on Darbee Visual Presence Technology. DarbeeVision is offering its Darbee Visual Presence technology for consumer electronics product integrations. The privately held company is headquartered in Santa Ana, California, USA. For information call 657-600-8241, email info@darbeevision.com, or visit www.DarbeeVision.com.
    All DarbeeVision™, Darbee™ patents, trademarks, copyrights and licensing are a product of DarbeeVision Inc.
    http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...er-1831029.htm

I guess this news may well not play too well with opponents of Darbee's other product but for me it remains genuinely exciting.
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (multi-region), Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Onkyo DV-HD805, Toshiba XE1
    Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX90/SC-09TX Susano
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Surround - 3 x B&W DM-601 S3
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Floorstanding - 2 x JBL ES100
    Uh oh, tele1962 may just have a stroke at this news.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Really very nice to see Oppo incorporating the Darbee. I wonder how much the player will sell for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Uh oh, tele1962 may just have a stroke at this news.
    Not really Josh, artificial video enhancement tools have been around for a long time.............OPPO have made a marketing decision. I will stick with the experts on this one and luckily it can be turned off.

PS
    Just on a side note the very best voice in AV ( I think you might have seen his post over on HTF) has thrown his hat in the ring regarding this one and it is a resounding thumbs down for this processing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
    Not really Josh, artificial video enhancement tools have been around for a long time.............OPPO have made a marketing decision. I will stick with the experts on this one and luckily it can be turned off.
    The 'experts' tend to back the Darblet, Barry.... The dissenters remain in the minority basically. Oppo's decision is highly salient here as they are obviously ignoring the siren wails from certain quarters and are going with a device that has deservedly won much acclaim across the board.
    It is a helluva recognition for the technology too that a very respected hardware manufacturer such as Oppo have endorsed it for integration into one of their players.
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (multi-region), Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Quote Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
    The 'experts' tend to back the Darblet, Barry.... The dissenters remain in the minority basically. Oppo's decision is highly salient here as they are obviously ignoring the siren wails from certain quarters and are going with a device that has deservedly won much acclaim across the board.
    It is a helluva recognition for the technology too that a very respected hardware manufacturer such as Oppo have endorsed it for integration into one of their players.
    Every single expert bar none who are directly involved in the industry have all come out against it and what it does.

Tell you what....why don't we make a list of experts for and against and see how they compare?

Lumagen & OPPO and many others have always added extra processing if required.
    Every single expert bar none who are directly involved in the industry have all come out against it and what it does.
    Do we really need to bring up all the positive reviews from the previous thread that completely make a nonsense out of that claim? Me - I am waiting for them to bring out a 105D so I can replace my Oppo 95 with a Darblet capable device. If you are good, I will call it Barry
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Do we really need to bring up all the positive reviews from the previous thread that completely make a nonsense out of that claim? Me - I am waiting for them to bring out a 105D so I can replace my Oppo 95 with a Darblet capable device. If you are good, I will call it Barry
    I am not on about reviewers but experts in the field of AV.
    I am not on about reviewers but experts in the field of AV.
    I think we established quite clearly in the previous thread the expertise of the reviewers who back the device, including those with ISF Calibration skills. It is getting late, so I am retiring - you be good now....
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35
    I think we established quite clearly in the previous thread the expertise of the reviewers who back the device, including those with ISF Calibration skills. It is getting late, so I am retiring - you be good now....
    Which ones were they again, and please remember those who train the ISF/THX Calibrators and set the standards.

PS
    A thought before you retire............all the information on a 1080p Blu Ray disc that you are supposed to see is there (an answer came back from the very best in the business regarding this and it was a very simple "YUP") , if it were not it would have been a very simple task at the authoring stage to make it available, why do you think it was not added?
    Last edited by tele1962; 09-24-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    A thought before you retire............all the information on a 1080p Blu Ray disc that you are supposed to see is there (an answer came back from the very best in the business regarding this and it was a very simple "YUP") , if it were not it would have been a very simple task at the authoring stage to make it available, why do you think it was not added?
    This is the point I thought of as well - When it comes to source material, people complain about DNR, EE and tinkering with color timing, so how does Derbee'ing not fall in the same complaint group ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    ... so how does Derbee'ing not fall in the same complaint group ?
    It does. Or at least it should, as it's merely a more advanced version of the processing we've spent a decade teaching people is bad. A collective psychosis seems to have hit the business, and suddenly the processing done by the Darblee is acceptable. Why, I do not know.

A particular quote from the news article on this site nearly made my fall off my chair:

Through their inline HDMI processor, obscured details are enhanced, helping to alleviate fog, haze, and poor lighting conditions.
    What if those details are supposed to be obscured? What if there's supposed to be a fog, a haze, or a scene is SUPPOSED to have poor lighting? Nothing about the final look of a movie is accidental. There is NO WAY that ANY device adding completely arbitrary processing can IMPROVE the look of a movie. It will only make it look different than it is supposed to.

The answer to my logic above is usually that the Darblee improves the DISPLAY and not the material. But that is obviously completely bonkers, as there is no way an HDMI device attached somewhere in the chain can improve the display, regardless of display technology. There is only the source to be messed with, and up until the arrival of the Darblee, anyone worth listening to would tell you that messing with the source is bad, and that the job of the display is to present the material as true as possible.

What I also find curious is how the goalposts in the aforementioned debate constantly seemed to move. First it was a sharpness enhancer; then it was a contrast enhancer. The last I remember is that it wasn't a contrast enhancer either.

It's OK, I guess, that some people like what it does. Those people trying to tell us that the Darblee is something that it's not is wrong, though. It IS an arbitrary processing device that will NOT enhance the material or improve the display. It will change what you see on the screen, and if that's to your liking, fine, but what you get is NOT and will NEVER be more correct than what a similar setup, calibrated to the tee, will display.

What Oppo's doing here is trying to make more money. For whatever reason, the Darblee is popular, and they're trying to take advantage of that. Lumagen did the exact same thing. The rest of us will just have to hope that that crap can be turned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    This is the point I thought of as well - When it comes to source material, people complain about DNR, EE and tinkering with color timing, so how does Derbee'ing not fall in the same complaint group ?
    With excessive DNR you lose image clarity and detail - period.
    With EE you introduce haloing and can also result in ugly artefacts.
    Colour timing can be more subjective but generally you are changing the look of a picture full stop.

The Darbee technology is different because it actually opens the picture up and reveals more depth and detail. As the owner of a Darblet for more than a year now, I am delighted with its performance and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. Sure IF you crank it up too much then the result can look artificial. Mine plays on 50% with a very pleasing end result. The fact that an HC savvy company such as Oppo has endorsed this technology is a significant boost for it and naturally enrages its opponents (most of whom, if not all swear by their Oppo players...).
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Quote Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
    The rest of us will just have to hope that that crap can be turned off.
    It will be able to be turned off. The Darbees themselves can be turned off with the remote. Even if you couldn't, you could have it set at 0%, which in effect is the same thing.

What you really have to hope for, as an Oppo lover opposed to Darbee technology, is that future generations of Oppo players include a non-Darbee version. Oppo is not going to include it for free, and you're not going to want to pay for something you don't use.

BTW, I understand and can relate to your claim that Darbee alters the picture with its newfangled processing. I have the Darbee and I enjoy it (around 50%), but I do wonder, if its effect is to improve focus, then how can a focus setting be too sharp (over 50%)? I never heard of something that can have too much focus.
    Do we really need to go through these BS arguments again? Both tele1962 and Naiera have admitted that they've never used Darbee tech, never seen it and know nothing about it, yet they feel compelled to troll thread after thread to rant about how awful they imagine it to be.

All of the supposed "experts" who complain about Darbee have likewise never actually used it. Meanwhile, numerous other experts who have used it, including respected names such as Joe Kane, have said positive, even enthusiastic things about it, and owner feedback is almost universally glowing. To which tele1962 and Naiera say: "Neener neener neener, I'm not listening. Neener neener, I didn't hear that. Neener neener neener, my fingers are in my ears..."

Enough is enough. When it comes to Darbee topics, tele1962 and Naiera area straight-up trolls whose sole purpose is to derail threads like this. They have no useful information to share and contribute nothing worthwhile to the discussion.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.