Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    tele1962 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Do we really need to go through these BS arguments again? Both tele1962 and Naiera have admitted that they've never used Darbee tech, never seen it and know nothing about it, yet they feel compelled to troll thread after thread to rant about how awful they imagine it to be.

All of the supposed "experts" who complain about Darbee have likewise never actually used it. Meanwhile, numerous other experts who have used it, including respected names such as Joe Kane, have said positive, even enthusiastic things about it, and owner feedback is almost universally glowing. To which tele1962 and Naiera say: "Neener neener neener, I'm not listening. Neener neener, I didn't hear that. Neener neener neener, my fingers are in my ears..."

Enough is enough. When it comes to Darbee topics, tele1962 and Naiera area straight-up trolls whose sole purpose is to derail threads like this. They have no useful information to share and contribute nothing worthwhile to the discussion.
    Josh nobody is trolling as you keep putting it (here and on AVS) if they bring any sort of argument against the Darblet being used. You were the one who brought my name back into this as is evident in your earlier post.
    Now lets get a few facts straight here..........as far as I know Joe Kane has said nothing of the sort, that came from 3rd party hearsay. As for not having used one.....remember I was the first person in the UK to do so.
    Now you keep saying these experts have never used one...........again there is no need we all know it enhances 1080p Blu Ray when that is not needed.
    like I said to The Limey, I am not talking reviewers here but the very people who train, advise, and are directly involved in the film industry and also who has recently thrown his hat into the ring on this one and his quote is there for everyone to see over on HTF, which I am sure you already knew of course but maybe forgot to mention. It's up to you Josh if you use it, I only hope you turn it off for film reviews.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
    As for not having used one.....remember I was the first person in the UK to do so.
    That's not what you said in the other Darbee thread. Were you lying then, or are you lying now?

like I said to The Limey, I am not talking reviewers here but the very people who train, advise, and are directly involved in the film industry and also who has recently thrown his hat into the ring on this one and his quote is there for everyone to see over on HTF, which I am sure you already knew of course but maybe forgot to mention. It's up to you Josh if you use it, I only hope you turn it off for film reviews.
    When I do a search for "Darbee" on HTF, all I see is a thread from you slandering me. How about rather than acting coy, you just provide the link?

Or are you afraid that if we actually read what this person wrote, we'll find that either: a) He didn't actually say what you claim he said, or b) He has also never used the product?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

That's not what you said in the other Darbee thread. Were you lying then, or are you lying now?

When I do a search for "Darbee" on HTF, all I see is a thread from you slandering me. How about rather than acting coy, you just provide the link?

Or are you afraid that if we actually read what this person wrote, we'll find that either: a) He didn't actually say what you claim he said, or b) He has also never used the product?
    I can't see where I am slandering you, disagreeing with one of your statements yes.

You asked for the thread link, here you go :

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...ancement-tool/

I think if you look back at the other thread I did say I had used it.......... For what reason would I lie? This seems an emotive subject for you Josh and I will have nothing else to say on the subject except that a good reviewer would always accept criticism.
    No hard feelings.

Plissken99 is online now Member

Josh your not letting these clowns get your blood pressure up are you? Who cares what loud mouths with no hands on experience do or say? Case in point; The last thread ended with Tele posting a last word and closing the thread, the act of a 6 yr old, put him on the ignore list like I do and be happy.

Anyway, I actually kind of agree that Oppo integrating it doesn't necessarily help the Darbee's case(at least from the detractors point of view), afterall the Oppo also converts 2D to 3D(which for me is a good thing for the Freddy's Dead ending ). Also I doubt it'll make the player more expensive, their prices didn't go up when they added 4k scaling. It's cool that their integrating it, but if that's the only new thing the next player offers I've got no reason to buy it since I already own a Darbee. Integrating it in the next A/V receiver or pre-amp I buy would be more useful to eliminate the extra connection in my video chain.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

I can't see where I am slandering you, disagreeing with one of your statements yes.
    You created that thread for the sole purpose of complaining about a post I made on another forum in an attempt to discredit me from afar, on a site where you know that I don't have as much of a presence.

Just on a side note the very best voice in AV ( I think you might have seen his post over on HTF) has thrown his hat in the ring regarding this one and it is a resounding thumbs down for this processing.
    You asked for the thread link, here you go :

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...ancement-tool/
    That's the thread created by YOU. I see no one else in that thread claiming to "throw their hat in the ring" but YOU. You're citing a post made by yourself as a supposed expert witness to support something that you're saying here! Are you trying to make us believe that YOU are the "very best voice in AV"???

What a piece of work you are.
    Josh Z
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

You created that thread for the sole purpose of complaining about a post I made on another forum in an attempt to discredit me from afar, on a site where you know that I don't have as much of a presence.

That's the thread created by YOU. I see no one else in that thread claiming to "throw their hat in the ring" but YOU. You're citing a post made by yourself as a supposed expert witness to support something that you're saying here! Are you trying to make us believe that YOU are the "very best voice in AV"???

What a piece of work you are.
    Read the thread again........then read who posted.

Read the thread again........then read who posted.
    I see no one in that thread "throwing their hat in the ring." No one there claims to have used, tested, studied, seen or know anything about the product. It's just you ranting and raving about something you know nothing about again.

If you're trying to use Gregg Loewen as your expert testimonial for his post that says - and I quote in its entirety - "yup!", then I will once again insist that you show me where he has written that he has actually used and evaluated the product with his own eyes.
    Josh Z

Oh god, I just realized something. The way that you coyly make references to things that people allegedly said without actually linking to what they really said, put words in people's mouths that they didn't actually say, pretend to be close friends with industry experts because you shared one exchange with them on a random internet forum once, and form dismissive circular arguments that make no sense at all reminds me very strongly of Penton Man.

Are you Penton Man?
    Josh Z

I will try and leave it at that as your clearly are not going to listen to anyone on this one, and continue with your tirade of insults...........from the same thread and I quote " Kind Of Sad".
    Last edited by tele1962; 09-25-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

I personally have not seen results from a Darby but do feel an enhancement is altering the source material. Hey, maybe it does look better. Is there data somewhere though that shows image data being left the same or detail being lost? Sort of like the bozos that crank the "sharpness" way up thinking they're making their picture sharper when in fact they're just reducing the resolution.

I am not closeminded to the idea but would like more real info before deciding.

I do a little bit of my own video processing here; When playing dvds, I play them from a Philips dvd player via component connections. Why? For whatever reason, if I use the HDMI port on the dvd player or try playing a dvd via the blu ray player thru HDMI (of course,) the compression artifacts are quite distracting. Since Component is an analog port, the tv must have some sort of filtering and compression is nearly nullified as it probably looks like rf noise to the tv, but yet the picture detail still seems as though it is there. The dvd player even has the option of not upscaling to 1080p when sending thru the HDMI port but the compression noise is still there. An old dvd that has film grain still has it in the final picture so I am more convinced the picture is not losing detail.

bruceames is online now Member

I'm a little skeptical myself, Krawk. However altering the source is not one of my pet peeves and it does at least give me the illusion that I'm seeing more detail, and I'm a detail freak. So I just set the Darbee dial to 50% and enjoy more (perceived) detail, greater depth, and also important, forget that it's even there.

I will try and leave it at that as your clearly are not going to listen to anyone on this one
    That is adorable lol.

Krawk, you half said it yourself, anyone who owns a TV and BD player have their own processing and version of what the content on the disc looks like, no two displays are the same. The big fact that hurts tele's and Niara's arguments is that unlike cranking the sharpness, there are no detrimental artifacts when using the Darbee on the proper setting. People on AVS have thrown every test pattern under the sun at it, and found that it in no way detracts from the image.

Like the sharpness setting, you can crank it all the way up and hurt the image, but set properly it makes the image better. On Digital Video Essentials when you go through the set up, and you come to sharpness, they don't tell you to turn it off, they tell you start at 0 and work your way up until it starts producing artifacts in the test pattern, then dial it back down a few steps. The Darbee should be set up the same way.

I'll tell you as I've always told them, you have a 30 day return policy when you order the Darbee, try it and send it back if you don't care for the effect.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Naiera is offline Member

The Darblee changes the source material. A random BD player and display combination does not change the source material, it merely presents it as well as possible given the equipment.

I also refer you to my comments relating to the news article. That is bullet proof logic, which completely disproves the notion that a device such as the Darblee can somehow get you closer to what is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
    The Darblee changes the source material. A random BD player and display combination does not change the source material(incorrect), it merely presents it as well as possible given the equipment(correct). .
    Well the second is kind of correct. See no two displays look the same because the manufacturers intentionally tweak the colors to make their display stand out amongst others. This is known amongst A/V professionals, I'm not pulling it out my arse. Being that the Darbee introduces no artifacts, and doesn't detract from fine object detail at the proper setting, it's no worse than the processing inside any given display that's not a $50,000 studio monitor in an authoring house.

Naiera is offline Member

A properly calibrated quality display does little or no processing not intended to show the source as correctly as possible. The Darblee, as mentioned many times, introduces completely arbitrary processing and changes the source. Until it showed up, everyone with a smidgeon of knowledge on the subject agreed that one should not try to "improve" upon the source.

As mentioned before in my first post in this thread, it's OK if you like what the Darblee does. Just don't tell people that it will somehow get you closer to what is correct, or even that it will improve one's display. Especially the last claim, which was presented many times in that other thread, is just mad. Whether it introduces visible artifacts or not is beside the point; you're not supposed to change the source material if you want to see what the director intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    See no two displays look the same because the manufacturers intentionally tweak the colors to make their display stand out amongst others. This is known amongst A/V professionals, I'm not pulling it out my arse.
    I don't know why you would think that this is news to me. It doesn't validate the use of a Darblee or anything like it to achieve correct picture quality.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast