Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    HDTV1080P is offline Member

Make sure the subtitle shift feature is set to default in the OPPO BDP-103D. If this setting has somehow changed, it can completely remove all subtitles from appearing on the screen. See page 34 of the manual for more details.

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    Make sure the subtitle shift feature is set to default in the OPPO BDP-103D. If this setting has somehow changed, it can completely remove all subtitles from appearing on the screen. See page 34 of the manual for more details.
    Checked that - it is at the default setting. Thanks.
    I did email Oppo Digital. I suspect they have not implemented this feature yet but will see what they say. Google was of no help either, thus why I emailed them.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Oppo responded that their player does not support this feature on user generated media files. To which I responded to consider it a feature request.
    Then I elaborated that if I play a recent disc, particularly from Lionsgate or Fox I get audio dropouts or bitstream bombs, so the only way to enjoy the film is with a user generated media file.

Oppo's response to my audio dropout issue is to replace my hdmi cable, lol. Then if problem persists to try to use both hdmi ports - port 1 to the tv, port 2 to the receiver and to remove the cable from the receiver to the tv.

Because I guess I have an HDMI cable that does not like newer Fox or Lionsgate movies. It's okay with older movies or movies from other studios (mostly.) And it's also okay with an mkv rip from said newer Fox or Lionsgate movie. Said rip still contains same audio track.

Just for shits I will do what is asked but logically speaking, it makes ZERO sense to be the problem.

Try another brand of A/V receiver, on my Pioneer A/V receiver I do not have the issue.

Also, try doing a factory reset on the OPPO and unplug the power cord for 30 seconds. I think you mentioned before that the problem occurs with other brands of Blu-ray players also. If that is the case then ignore my recommendation to power cycle and to do a factory reset.

When I play (example) Star Wars Ep. 4 from a disc or from a USB drive, it is essentially the same exact movie. The video is not recoded, the sound is not recoded. It plays flawlessly via USB Flash Drive within an MKV container. Playing from disc, am relatively sure it is related to the branching (copy protection) mechanism in place, we are talking about Fox and Lionsgate here. Perhaps the receiver is hyper sensitive to gaps in the audio stream, but then again, if the player is playing them correctly, there should not be any gaps in the stream, right?

Yes, the issue presents itself with other BD players as well.

Try bypassing the A/V receiver D/A converters. If the A/V receiver has 7.1 analog inputs, try sending 7.1 analog from the OPPO to the A/V receiver. In theory the audio dropouts will go away if the problem is with the D/A converter in the A/V receiver.

Also try a direct HDMI connection from the OPPO to a flat panel screen to see if the audio dropouts go away.

I sent the following email to OPPO Digital INC:

"TO: OPPO Digital INC

I own an OPPO BDP-103D and when I turn it on it notifies me that a new firmware release is available (BDP10X-83-0715). However the problem is after downloading the firmware over the Internet directly to the Blu-ray player I get the following message “The firmware file is incorrect or corrupted. The firmware is not upgraded.”

Please fix this corrupted file problem on your server. This problem has been occurring for at least two days, and I get the same message on more than one BDP-103D Blu-ray player."

I am not a Day One downloader of new firmware but for other reasons.
    Unless I have a problem that the firmware specifically addresses, I wait for other people to be Beta Testers.

I sent the following email to OPPO Digital INC:

"TO: OPPO Digital INC

I own an OPPO BDP-103D and when I turn it on it notifies me that a new firmware release is available (BDP10X-83-0715). However the problem is after downloading the firmware over the Internet directly to the Blu-ray player I get the following message “The firmware file is incorrect or corrupted. The firmware is not upgraded.”

Please fix this corrupted file problem on your server. This problem has been occurring for at least two days, and I get the same message on more than one BDP-103D Blu-ray player."
    This issue with OPPO Digital INC server has now been fixed, I was able to download and install latest firmware just fine.

This issue with OPPO Digital INC server has now been fixed, I was able to download and install latest firmware just fine.
    Things always break on the weekends, plain and simple. The Monday-Friday 9-5ers won't get called in to fix it.

cupboy is offline Member

So, what does the firmware do? I haven't turned mine on after purchasing the xbox one s since I've been playing everything on that instead.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    So, what does the firmware do? I haven't turned mine on after purchasing the xbox one s since I've been playing everything on that instead.
    http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-1...e-83-0715.aspx

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO BDP-103, BDP-105, BDP-103D and BDP-105D Blu-ray Disc players.

Special Notice:

Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

Comparing to the previous Official release version BDP10X-80-1031, the major changes included in this version are:

Resolved a no audio issue when connecting via HDMI Out 1 into VIZIO P-series 4K TVs.

Resolved a disc loading issue with the “A Walk in the Woods” Blu-ray Disc.

Resolved a playback issue where certain ALAC files would produce static noise.

Resolved an issue where the player would sometimes lock up when receiving the RS-232 command to launch VUDU.

Resolved an issue where HDMI Out 2 would sometimes output RGB regardless of the HDMI Out 2 color space settings.

Resolved an HDMI audio dropout issue that could occur when playing Blu-ray titles with a duration longer than three hours, such as Schindler’s List.

Resolved an issue where subtitles would sometimes randomly repeat when playing MKV files with embedded PGS subtitles.

Restored the ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD audio tracks in MKV files when HDMI Audio is set to Bitstream. If you encounter a no audio issue when playing MKV files, we recommend setting the player’s HDMI Audio setting to Auto (Default) to force the player to output LPCM.

Improved compatibility with WAV files using ID3 tags.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

I requested they support forced subtitles in user created MKV files and they said although they have received requests for it, there was no SDK implementing it. I suggested they contact MKVToolnix or VLC projects because pretty much every player and utility out there supports the same spec, so there has to be a SDK somewhere for this. If VLC supported format A and MPC-HC supported format B that would be understandable, but there's only one format for forced subs.
    Perhaps someone else should email them, they get enough requests they might finally do it.

In the February 2017 Absolute Sound magazine that was just released, they reviewed the OPPO BDP-105D on page 74 and 76. This is another example of a professional magazine waiting too long to review a product. The OPPO BDP-105D is a 3 year old player that was discontinued in 2016. People reading the review in the magazine will be going to the OPPO Digital INC website and they will discover the BDP-105D with a list price of $1,299 is out of stock. Some Amazon dealers have brand new BDP-105D’s for $2,599. Of course knowledable consumers will realize that the OPPO UDP-205 is a better quality Blu-ray player that might receive a release price of $1,249.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast