Reply 
Page 2 of 4 << First 1 2 3 4 Last>>
Results 16 to 30 of 46
  1. #16

    Default here we go again.....again.....again


    now is this player worth 4000.00? , maybe not. but what i find funny is when the geeks come out and start slinging insults just because there "science is my god" mentality wouldnt let them see or hear a difference anyway, now does that mean i think the theta will outperform an oppo.....no. will it outperform others.....maybe. the day is coming when the only place to buy decent gear will be through the internet because you chuckleheads have f@cked it up for everyone else, most of you spend countless hours reading what you would call "expert advice" from installers who work out of their homes and wannabe engineers who once read an article on engineering while waiting for the bus. and then you go into stores that carry good gear an ask to audition product without any intention of buying, you just use somebodys business to demo it and then buy it from some unauthorized dealer online at a liquidated price, but i am happy to say that time wasters like yourselves will soon start running into a wall at these places when they start rolling out the pay for appointment concept which has worked thus far for me, you make an appointment that you have to pay for which covers an hours worth of time to audition and ask all the questions you like. i had a guy come in who was notorious for wasting peoples time and he through a hissy fit and said he was going to tell all his friends about my unfair business practices, i simply laughed and told him he was not my demographic anyway, when he asked what that was, i said "someone who is actually going tobuy something" most of you would say i lost a customer, but considering the fact that he never bought anything, i doubt that. my point with all this is that all you do is whine and bitch about products that you refuse to see or hear a difference in. just because your city college science classes say you shouldnt because science says so. sorry guys i believe what i hear and what i see, that is my ultimate gauge for measuring a products worth, you keep shopping at wallyworld and i will stick with my elitist boutique, and btw my store does NOT carry theta products, but their reputation is solid amongst the people that matter.....not time wasters
  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,661
    So... Your bitter that the Internet is making people more well informed and not spending more than they should?

    Of course that guy didn't buy anything from you, your a jerk. When I was trying to test drive a Challenger I went through 3 different salesmen who obviously thought of me as a time waster because I was 25 single and wear jeans and a t-shirt. The fourth guy got the sale because he treated me like a person and understood that some people need to do research, 6 months later I bought from him with 9k down.
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2
  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    379
    I don't know how we got to this point in the debate, but auditioning products in a store (using their service, which is why their prices are higher) and buying online is a dick move.
  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,661
    I agree... just didn't know how he got there or what exactly he was talking about. Amlop, capitalization, look into it.
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2
  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    4,474
    Quote Originally Posted by amlop71 View Post
    {all snipped}
    Although we all can appreciate your comments (many of which are misspelled or using the wrong spelling of similar words) - the biggest problem with many of these retailers such as the one you would want us to believe you work for is that they refuse to be competitive. I have no problem paying a premium for a product I can buy locally. I get it, there is overhead involved. It's when the same dealers will charge full MSRP and offer very little in the way of knowledge or support. Let me be as simple as possible - New Release Blu-Ray "X" sells for $19.99 on Amazon and say $22.99 at reasonable merchant B and then there's your business, selling it for $44.95 because that's what MSRP is and you feel you can justify the price. If you did offer superior service and charged even $30 for "X" you would get a few sales.
    Hell, when I bought my first Sony dvd player I bought it from a premium dealer and paid closer to $1000.00 for it. The unauthorized sellers carried it for $800ish but I did not know what I was getting for support. Would I have paid for an appointment on such a product though? HELL NO. With your thinking car dealers should start charging for test drives because of the wear and tear and gas prices.
  6. #21

    Default get a clue


    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    So... Your bitter that the Internet is making people more well informed and not spending more than they should?

    Of course that guy didn't buy anything from you, your a jerk. When I was trying to test drive a Challenger I went through 3 different salesmen who obviously thought of me as a time waster because I was 25 single and wear jeans and a t-shirt. The fourth guy got the sale because he treated me like a person and understood that some people need to do research, 6 months later I bought from him with 9k down.

    first of all dont act like a child and name call, i treat all of my customers like people and my business does well, no offense to you but i have been in sales since before you were born, and i know when someone is intentionally wasting my time, if you would have bothered to understand my post, you would get the point, after 3 visits to my store in several months and each time spending an hour or so asking questions and listening to various products only to come back and tell me he found an offer online he couldnt resist, i would like to think even an educated person like yourself would see how this guy wasted my time.
  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Although we all can appreciate your comments (many of which are misspelled or using the wrong spelling of similar words) - the biggest problem with many of these retailers such as the one you would want us to believe you work for is that they refuse to be competitive. I have no problem paying a premium for a product I can buy locally. I get it, there is overhead involved. It's when the same dealers will charge full MSRP and offer very little in the way of knowledge or support. Let me be as simple as possible - New Release Blu-Ray "X" sells for $19.99 on Amazon and say $22.99 at reasonable merchant B and then there's your business, selling it for $44.95 because that's what MSRP is and you feel you can justify the price. If you did offer superior service and charged even $30 for "X" you would get a few sales.
    Hell, when I bought my first Sony dvd player I bought it from a premium dealer and paid closer to $1000.00 for it. The unauthorized sellers carried it for $800ish but I did not know what I was getting for support. Would I have paid for an appointment on such a product though? HELL NO. With your thinking car dealers should start charging for test drives because of the wear and tear and gas prices.
    when you guys get your feathers ruffled you love to insult and grade a persons post, gee, teach im sorry i mispelled a few words, i am so sorry i couldnt live up to your posting standards, and i dont sell movies so your point is moot, i am a competative dealer, but i dont compete with unauthorized resellers who are out of state or who sell online, the appointment fee i charge is to weed out the people who have no intention of buying, and what i should have mentioned is the fee is applied toward the persons purchase when they make one and i also price match the big box reatailers on the same product (tv's generally), i am not a car dealer either, so again moot point
  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,661
    Well it's hard to follow run on sentences with no capitalization. You'd think someone in sales since before I was born could manage that. Any case it's not worth arguing with someone apparently defending an over priced snake oil blu ray player.
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2
  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arlington, Texas
    Posts
    1,397
    Wow, there seems to be a couple of different conversations going on. So let's address these things.

    So.... this player bitstreams audio to my seperate components? Um, yeah, a $100 player does that.

    It delivers superrior video? For 1080p content, any Blu-Ray player should just be passing the digital information onto the television or projector, and over HDMI, a $100 player should be as good as a $4000 player.

    What makes the difference is what happens when you are using the component connections, or what happens when you are upscalling video and using noise reduction. I am assuming that if you are buying a $4000 Blu-Ray player, you are not going to be running it to your fancy TV or projector running component (or maybe you are - Maybe you have an awesome 8 year old projector that doesn't have HDMI that you paid an exorborant amount of money for and don't want to upgrade - but you won't be doing 3D on it. In that case, yeah, you would need a good video processor). But what about SD upconversion? Yeah, in that case, you would want a good video processor, something that you probably won't find in the $100 players.

    So, we are bitstreaming audio, and have a good video processor in it? My PS3 has that, and as a few other people have pointed out, this seems to have the same video processor as the Oppo.

    The only thing I can say that this player has going for it is that it looks really pretty.

    So on to the second topic - do I buy stuff locally. The answer to that is.... sometimes. Most electronics products (home theater, computer, etc) I will buy in a physical store. I like going in, looking at the equipment, touching it, demoing it, and then if I have an issue when I get the equipment home, I can take it back to the store and have them test it right then, instead of waiting a week or to to RMA something I ordered on the internet. That said, I will never pay MSRP for something. That is stupid, and if I did that, it would show I was an uneducated consumer. I will look between two items, determine the best fit for me, the best price for that item, and so forth.

    Usually, if I go into a store to look at an item, I am planing to buy from that store. Otherwise, I am browsing or window shopping. That means that I am trying to find something to do with my day, and am just wanting to see what is new that is out there.

    Movies, however, I buy almost exclusively online. Amazon delivers on release day. I actually went to a movie trading store the other day, and they were selling USED movies for higher than Amazon was selling them new. So why on earth would I pay more?

    Yes, equipment, I will buy in the store, but I am still looking for a deal.

    Now if I were looking for premium equipment, and had the money to sink on it, I probably wouldn't be going down to Best Buy or Fry's, but would be going to a dedicated home theater store. I would pay the extra money for the service and the convienance of being able to take the equipment home that day.

    Now, I have seen premium home theater stores that don't have the equipment in stock, and will order it when the customer places their order. I can see the reasoning behind this, as you do not want to stock something that you may not be able to sell. However, you should be willing to let the customer take home the display unit if they ask, and then you reorder another unit for the store. Yes, you will not have said unit on display, but how many units do you sell in one day? If its not enough to justify stocking the unit, then you can wait a few days to get a new unit in. However, if you let the customer leave empty handed because you will not sell the display unit, and you have not exchanged money with the customer, the customer then has the option of going somewhere else and looking to see who does have it in stock, and may find a better deal.

    Let's think this through for a minute - I went to the store, found an item I liked, but they don't have any in stock, just the display unit. You can have it to me in 2 - 4 weeks. I go home, look on Amazon, they have it for 20% less than you do, and I can have it in 1-2 days. So, I can have it in my home, test it, RMA it if I need to, and have a replacement unit in less time than you can have it to me, and I saved money.

    Key thing is, the store has to provide exceptional service, be competively priced (I will pay a reasonable cost over online if I can take the item home that day and you have good service), and if you do not have the item I want in stock, you need to either sell me on a comprable item, or let me take home the display model. If you let me leave the store empty handed, chances are, I am not coming back.
  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,661
    Um, I just noticed there are guys, amlop71 and animex... doubt there are two different people who type the same way and argue the same way. wtf?
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2
  11. #26
    Yes, looks fishy to me. Same misspelling, identical arguments to the "t", same everything.

    I personally refuse to buy anything other than movies / CDs online to support my local dealers (I don't buy at big boxes either) even if that means I have to pay more. Definitely, however, I refuse to go to any store that's charging me money just to browse.
    Follow my A/V twitter @davidsusilo

    ISF, THX, Control4, HAA certified; CEDIA trainer.
    my home theatre
  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    4,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    Um, I just noticed there are guys, amlop71 and animex... doubt there are two different people who type the same way and argue the same way. wtf?
    I quoted one and the other responded back - funny coincidence no?

    Agree with a few more points from gravis. And still, have seen time and time again where a certain customer seems to be a pest but once they get all their ducks lines up, they make their purchases. I think it is very judgmental of someone to assume the "pest" customer has no intention of buying. When I bought my original Sony dvd player had the dealer charged an appointment fee I would have told them where to stick it. I was a serious buyer but uncommitted at that point.

    Most consumer electronics offer "sufficient" power supplies but the higher end ones might offer something over rated for the unit they go into. (We have seen some Apex dvd players in the past with insufficient PSUs.) This is the ONLY thing I can think Theta might offer that could make their unit better, but an extra $10 in capacitors does not justify the extra cost.
  13. #28
    Don't forget the custom milled aluminum chassis can cost them about $500 each due to the extreme low quantity they ordered, usually around $1,500 for the dealer markup for boutique brands. Plus the exorbitant amortized cost for UL (and its equvalent worldwide) -- again due to the extremely low quantity --it can reach about $200 per unit.

    With approx dealer cost of $2,500; the asking price is not too too insane (note the double 'too')
    Follow my A/V twitter @davidsusilo

    ISF, THX, Control4, HAA certified; CEDIA trainer.
    my home theatre
  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,179
    Quote Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
    Don't forget the custom milled aluminum chassis can cost them about $500 each due to the extreme low quantity they ordered, usually around $1,500 for the dealer markup for boutique brands. Plus the exorbitant amortized cost for UL (and its equvalent worldwide) -- again due to the extremely low quantity --it can reach about $200 per unit.

    With approx dealer cost of $2,500; the asking price is not too too insane (note the double 'too')
    Insane is that anyone would pay for that. Especially since the fancy chassis is actually pretty ugly.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
  15. #30

    Default is that all you are going to do?


    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    Um, I just noticed there are guys, amlop71 and animex... doubt there are two different people who type the same way and argue the same way. wtf?
    im not writing a novel and i am not trying to impress the masses with my spelling, im posting in a forum, so who really gives a f@ck?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts