Default Cinavia and Blu-ray players

This is only an issue for consumers that attempt to playback pirated DVD’s and Blu-ray's that are encoded with the Cinavia watermark. A message pops up on the screen like the following:

“Playback stopped. The content being played is protected by Cinavia™ and is not authorized for playback on this device.
    For more information, see http://www.cinavia.com.
    Message Code 1.”

To read more about this new security feature offered on all new Blu-ray players then click on the following link

http://www.cinavia.com/languages/english/pages/messages.html
    Since the Cinavia feature is mandatory in all the new Blu-ray players released in 2012 there is a possibility that there might be a secret unadvertised feature that occurs when the Blu-ray player is connected to the Internet.

With a firmware update it would be possible to have internet connected Blu-ray players notify an anti-piracy law enforcement group the IP address and serial number of the Blu-ray player that was used to play the pirated DVD or Blu-ray disc (unauthorized optical disc copy). From the IP address and serial number of the Blu-ray player then the anti-piracy law enforcement group would be able to locate the physical location where the pirated movie was attempted to be played and who the original owner of the Blu-ray player is.

As far as I know the Cinavia feature does not have this feature yet, but even if they did it would not be something one would advertise. One could place an Ethernet data sniffer on their Blu-ray player to see if a website is contacted when the Cinavia message pops up on the screen to see if the feature does exist.
    Wow - a new level of conspiracy theory. Just remember that the offending video file could be a rip, copy or conversion of your personally purchased, paid for and owned blu-ray - not necessarily "pirated".
    Although the movie industry pretty much gets their way with their purchased politicians these days, I haven't seen any laws stating what a consumer may or may not "play" in the privacy of their own home. But who knows what is around the corner since the movie industry would very much like to collect money every time anyone watches, recalls or mumbles the name of a film they produced.
    My approach is to simply not purchase equipment or titles infected with cinavia. The equipment part is easy, as I have multiple excellent players that do everything I want that are clean of cinavia. I only purchase cinavia infected titles if it is something I've decided is a must have in my collection - no blind buys or marginal consideration titles. So, it is mostly Sony titles I no longer purchase - they are strictly rentals - and I seem to still have more to watch than time to watch them all.
    Last edited by Rich86; 10-27-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs
    If you make a back up copy of a cinavia Blu-ray disc it will still work. The only time cinavia protection kicks in is when you're playing a reauthored or reencoded copy of the disc for some reason, or streaming it off of a mediaserver. So really adding cinavia protection to Blu-ray disc players is pointless.

Also welcome to over a year ago.
    RIP Kosty you are missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
    If you make a back up copy of a cinavia Blu-ray disc it will still work. The only time cinavia protection kicks in is when you're playing a reauthored or reencoded copy of the disc for some reason, or streaming it off of a mediaserver. So really adding cinavia protection to Blu-ray disc players is pointless.

Also welcome to over a year ago.
    I believe you are mistaken. Based on what I have read, the issue here is not whether reauthoring or reencoding is involved - it is whether the copy is seen as a protected "trusted source" media or not.
    I'm not sure what the "welcome to a year ago" comment is about . . .
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs