Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last>>

Default Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105

Oppo have 'quietly' announced the successors to the BDP-93 and BDP-95 at CEDIA 2012 - meet the BDP-103 and the BDP-105:

BDP-103

BDP-105

Both the BDP-103 and BDP-105 offer an updated Qdeo processor and a front-mounted HDMI input with support for MHL which stands for Mobile High-Definition Link.
    MHL allows for the direct connection of mobile and portable devices. MHL is the standard used by the Roku Streaming Stick product which allows for full streaming content in a form factor similar to a USB stick. Both players will support 4K x 2K output and of course support 3D. You will also notice that the buttons on the front panel have been redesigned. The button to eject the tray is now backlit! It wasn't surprising that a Roku Streaming Stick happened to appear at our table.

The back of the BDP-105 includes a few more surprises. The player includes coax, optical, and USB digital inputs allowing you to use the BDP-105 as a DAC. The USB DAC is synchronized by the clock circuits in the player and supports 24/192.
    The balanced inputs on the back of the BDP-105 are now right-side up. This reflects a redesign of the audio board and a new power-supply with is made directly by Oppo Digital. The redesign also eliminates the need for a fan in the BDP-105.

You will also notice two USB inputs and a single output labeled “Diag.” This output offers access to the basic setup menus in case you accidentally happen to configure the player in such a way that the menus are not viewable via the HDMI interface.
    We had one last surprise for the evening. The Oppo remote has some changes as well. The remote now includes dedicated buttons for Netflix and Vudu.
    http://cave.hometheaterhifi.com/prof...t-robert-kozel
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (multi-region), Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Onkyo DV-HD805, Toshiba XE1
    Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX90/SC-09TX Susano
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Surround - 3 x B&W DM-601 S3
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Floorstanding - 2 x JBL ES100
    They are keeping the BDP-103 at $499 though, unlike the more expensive unit...
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...u-ray-players/
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (multi-region), Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Onkyo DV-HD805, Toshiba XE1
    Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX90/SC-09TX Susano
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Surround - 3 x B&W DM-601 S3
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Floorstanding - 2 x JBL ES100
    Are they ever going to announce a digital transport for cheaper? I just want a DVD-A and SACD player that uses HDMI!
    Panasonic TCP58S2
    Onkyo TX-NR616
    Panasonic BDT310
    Sony PS3
    Toshiba HD-A35
    Denon DVD-2910
    Axiom Audio W2, W100, QS8
    Velodyne VLF-810
    Monster Power HDP2500
    Page 62 of the OPPO BDP-103 manual says the following:

Due to the hardware limitation, DSD output is only available from the HDMI 2 OUT port. To listen to SACD using the HDMI 1 OUT port, please set SACD Output to PCM.”

OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray Disc Player User Manual (PDF Format)

DSD over HDMI 1 has always been a standard feature on all OPPO Blu-ray players until now. This is a downgrade for those consumers that use SACD’s a lot. Having to connect both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to ones A/V receiver in order to use DSD is a bad feature.

I might end up keeping the OPPO BDP-93 that also has an e-SATA jack with DSD available on HDMI 1. This might be a deal breaker for me since it’s more like a downgrade since one is losing some features.

I realize that the SACD and DVD-Audio feature is a niche market but that is one of the main reasons people purchase the OPPO Blu-ray players when compared to other brands on the market. The Sony BDP-S790 for $250 list price does DSD over HDMI port 1 and it offers around 50 different streaming services with 4K upscale. Its great that the new OPPO BDP-103 has 1080P Netflix with 5.1 surround sound but they also need more streaming services like Amazon on demand for some people to justify upgrading their Blu-ray player. With the loss of the e-sata feature, HDMI 1 DSD, and no analog HD or SD video output this new OPPO Blu-ray player should have been priced at $399. Possible there has been some inflation in electronics that requires features to be removed with a $499 list price. I am sure some will say that the 4K upscale feature and the dual core fast loading processor is why this Blu-ray player has a $499 list price instead of $399. I have not been a fan of Pioneer Blu-ray players but their latest Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD has a $399 list price with both the SACD and DVD-Audio feature.
    It looks this new OPPO BDP-103 might start shipping in October. They already have an official firmware that was released on September 19th 2012. Not a BETA firmware like the OPPO BDP-93 shipped with back in NOV/DEC of 2010.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx
    Looks like anybody that registered for info. about the 103 got notified that they're available. I pre-ordered one and (based on the e-mail I just got) it's already shipped via FedEx!
    Oppo BDP-103
    Toshiba HD-A35
    Panasonic TC-P55VT50
    Onkyo TX-SR705
    Blu-Rays: Stopped counting after 300
    HD DVDs: 75
    Some comparisons between the OPPO BDP-93/95 and OPPO BDP-103/105

The OPPO BDP-93/95 Blu-ray players were first manufactured around October-December 2010 and they are no longer in production. The $999 OPPO BDP-95 just offers better analog audio output quality when compared to the $499 OPPO BDP-93, plus an added fan to keep the audio board and entire system cool. For someone that only plans on using the digital audio outputs the OPPO BDP-93 and BDP-95 sounds exactly the same.

The new $499 OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray players will begin shipping on or around September 28th 2012 for customers that pre-ordered the Blu-ray players with wide release estimated to be around the middle of October. It was mentioned by OPPO Digital INC that the analog audio outputs on the BDP-103 has a slightly better sound quality when compared to the old OPPO BDP-93 (Digital audio output sound quality are identical on the OPPO BDP-93 and the new OPPO BDP-103).

The $1,199 OPPO BDP-105 Blu-ray players might be released as early as December 2012 or sometime in the first quarter of 2013. Both the BDP-103 and BDP-105 sound quality are identical when using digital audio outputs. The advantage of the BDP-105 according to OPPO Digital INC is the improved analog audio performance when compared to the BDP-103. Also the BDP-105 in some ways is like a A/V receiver since it supports digital coaxial input, optical input, and asynchronous USB in. Also the BDP-105 will have a headphone amplifier jack which to my knowledge will be the very first Blu-ray player on the market with a headphone jack (which is a nice feature for consumers that do not own a A/V receiver or do not want to turn on their A/V receiver late at night to listen to movies or music).

A list of some features exclusive on the old OPPO BDP-93/95 that the new OPPO BDP-103/105 does not offer

1. Exclusive analog video outputs on the OPPO BDP-93/95: The old OPPO BDP-93/95 offers a 1080i component video output (480i,480P,720P, and 1080i is outputted depending on menu settings). In addition, the old OPPO BDP-93/95 offers a 480i composite video output. These features are only important for consumers that do not own a modern HD display with a DVI or HDMI input with HDCP (The new OPPO BDP-103/105 requires a display with a HDMI input or DVI input with HDCP). Around Jan 1st 2011 all new Blu-ray player models introduced limited the component video outputs to 480i quality, or like Panasonic Blu-ray players the component video outputs were completely removed starting in 2011. Per the AACS licensing agreements all consumer Blu-ray players manufactured or introduced after Jan 1st 2014 are not allowed to play AACS Blu-ray discs using analog video outputs. The reason the AACS Analog Sunset rules are in place is to prevent the possibility of someone making an unauthorized 480i SD or 1080i HD copy to an external recording device that removes analog copy protection. Technically manufactories can leave 1080i component video outputs and 480i composite video outputs on Blu-ray players if they are restricted to streaming service like VUDU or 480i DVD watching but doing so would cause consumer confusion if the consumer can use the 1080i component video outputs and 480i composite video outputs for everything except Blu-ray movie watching. So all Blu-ray players manufactoried after Jan 1st 2014 because of the AACS agreement are now being forced to make Blu-ray players like the OPPO BDP-103/105 with no analog video outputs at all. It is not Jan 1st 2014 yet but some manufactories like OPPO Digital plan on still producing the OPPO BDP-103/105 beyond the year 2013 so they decided to start early by not offering any 480i analog video outputs. The new Sharp Blu-ray players also only contain HDMI outputs with no analog video outputs at all.

2. OPPO BDP-93/95 can send DSD signals using both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 ports: The OPPO BDP-93/95 Universal Blu-ray players and every other brand of dual port HDMI Universal Blu-ray player on the market that plays SACD’s can send DSD from both HDMI ports as far as I am aware. The following is only an issue for those consumers that listen to Super Audio CD’s and plan on using the DSD feature. One of the negatives of the new OPPO BDP-103/105 is due to a limitation in the hardware, HDMI 1 does not support DSD signals from SACD’s, only PCM. The work around to the OPPO BDP-103/105 hardware limitation is consumers are forced to send DSD out of HDMI 2 port if they have the equipment that accepts a DSD signal. Since HDMI 1 has a superior Marvell QDEO video processor compared to HDMI 2 that means consumers with modern A/V receivers will be required to plug both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 into their A/V receiver if they want to have the best video quality and want to listen to the native DSD signal from the SACD’s. When SACD’s are listened to with DSD then the input selector on the A/V receiver needs to be changed. When done listening to the SACD’s then the input selector on the A/V receiver needs to be changed back to OPPO BDP-103/105 HDMI 1 source for the superior video quality. Some consumers that do not want to give up the DSD feature and that have no spare HDMI ports available on their A/V receiver and will be forced to upgrade their A/V receiver to one that offers more HDMI inputs since the BDP-103/105 requires the use of two HDMI ports to deliver the full video and audio quality to ones A/V receiver.

3. OPPO BDP-93/95 has 2GB of built in flash memory compared to only 1GB of built in flash memory for the new OPPO BDP-103/105: The BDP-93/95 has a total of 2GB of flash memory reserved for internal storage. 1GB is used for BD-LIVE persistent storage and 1GB is used for buffering streaming services. According to my communications with OPPO Digital INC the new OPPO BDP-103/105 will only have 1GB of internal flash memory (512MB is used for BD-LIVE persistent storage and 512MB is used for buffering streaming services). To meet the Profile 2.0 specification a USB external storage drive that is 1GB or larger is required. This is a disappointment since all prior OPPO Blu-ray players had 1GB of internal storage reserved for BD-LIVE. The new OPPO BDP-103/105 cuts the internal storage in half for both streaming services and BD-LIVE.

4. The OPPO BDP-93/95 has an exclusive e-SATA II interface: On the existing OPPO BDP-93/95’s the Blu-ray players have an e-SATA II interface. e-SATA II interfaces support 3Gbps speed which is much faster compared to USB 2.0 480Mbps. This e-SATA II interface allows consumers to connect e-SATA III, II, and I hard drives. Some consumers use a 2TB e-SATA hard drive for HD and SD BD-LIVE downloads when the drive is formatted as FAT32. The new OPPO BDP-103/105 Blu-ray players do not have an e-SATA II interface which is a disappointment. If OPPO Digital INC was going to remove the e-SATA II 3Gbps interface then they should have given consumers a USB 3.0 port that supports 5Gbps speed. Under real world conditions a modern 2TB 7,200RPM hard drive using a speed test program on a computer will offer around 30-35Mbps transfer speed using USB 2.0 port and around 150Mbps transfer speed when using a USB 3.0 port. Verizon FIOS offers Internet speeds up to 300Mbps and a faster storage drive would be ideal for BD-LIVE HD downloads. I liked the e-SATA II 3Gbps hard drive interface on the old OPPO BDP-93/95. I know that the e-SATA II interface has caused some confusion with some OPPO BDP-93/95 owners and maybe that is one of the reasons the new OPPO BDP-103/105 does not offer e-SATA II. The problem is some consumers do not understand that e-SATA II is not hot swappable. The e-SATA II hard drive and/or OPPO Blu-ray player can become damaged if the consumer does not power down both the OPPO BDP-93/95 and the e-SATA II hard drive when connecting and disconnecting the hard drive from the Blu-ray player. OPPO Digital INC could have replaced the e-SATA II 3Gbps interface with USB 3.0 5Gbps ports but instead the e-SATA II jack was replaced by adding one extra USB 2.0 480Mbps port to the OPPO BDP-103/105.

5. The Sony Playstation 3 offers exclusive 1Gbps networking speed (Note: the OPPO BDP-93/95 also does not offer 1Gbps networking): Since the launch of the original Sony PS3 back in 2006 all versions of the PS3 offer 1,000Mbps (1Gbps networking speed). All standalone Blu-ray players on the market including the new OPPO BDP-103/105 limit the wired networking speed to 100Mbps. Verizon FIOS nationwide now offers 300Mbps Internet down load speed and some Internet providers offer 1Gbps internet speed. If BD-LIVE download features or current streaming services starts offering 50GB Blu-ray images for download to a secure 2TB hard drive then Blu-ray players with 1Gbps networking speed will be important when downloading large BD-LIVE files or streaming HD files. The funny thing is the Wireless N adapter on the OPPO BDP-103/105 is rated at 150Mbps which means under ideal conditions the wireless networking is 50Mbps faster than the Ethernet connection since 1Gbps Ethernet was not part of the hardware design.

6. The OPPO BDP-93/95 passed DivX certification: According to OPPO Digital INC, Divx and Divx HD Plus certification will most likely be a feature mentioned in the specification once the OPPO BDP-103/105 passes Divx certification. It is unlikely that the new OPPO players will fail the ongoing Divx certification.

Some positive features of the new OPPO BDP-103/105 that are not offered on the OPPO BDP-93/95

(A few negative comments might be mentioned with the positives)

1. 4K Up-scaling: The new OPPO BDP-103/105 offers 4K Quad HD up-scaling of both 1080P Blu-ray’s, 480i DVD’s, and all video sources. Like most current generation 4K up-scaling technology 1920 X 1080P Blu-ray’s will be converted to a simulated 3840 X 2160P image for those consumers that own 4K Quad HD displays. Currently the cheapest 4K projector on the market that accepts native 4K signals is $25,000 but in the years to come under $10,000 4K projectors and displays will most likely become a reality. Maybe around 2016 OPPO Digital INC will offer a Universal optical player that plays native 4K optical discs if a consumer 4K optical format is released. The old OPPO BDP-93/95 only offers 1080P Up-scaling.

2. 2D to 3D conversion: The new OPPO BDP-103/105 will convert 2-D video sources like 480i DVD’s and 2-D 1080P Blu-rays to simulated 3-D quality for those consumers that want to watch 3-D all the time on their 3-D display. The old OPPO BDP-93/95 only played native 3-D Blu-rays in true 3-D quality and did not offer a 2-D to 3-D conversion feature.

3. Native 4K YouTube videos are not supported: The OPPO BDP-103/105 does not support any native 4K sources including 4K YouTube. Both the OPPO BDP-103/105 and the old OPPO BDP-93/95 will play native 720P and native 1080P YouTube videos when YouTube LeanBack decides to send the HD videos. No consumer Blu-ray player is capable of manually selecting the video resolution like a Windows PC. Consumers will either get HD videos sent to them at 1080P or 720P quality at 60Hz. The streaming providers like VUDU, Netflix, and YouTube do not allow the OPPO Blu-ray players to display onscreen information regarding the video codec, resolution, or audio format that is being played. VUDU and Netflix streaming services can be watched anywhere in the world as long as the consumer has a US address when signing up.

4. Improved VUDU video and audio quality on the OPPO BDP-103/105: The OPPO BDP-103/105 supports VUDU 3-D and 7.1 surround sound. The old OPPO BDP-93/95 will not be getting a firmware update to support VUDU 3-D with 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus (The old OPPO interface only offers VUDU 2-D with 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus) . One big negative with all Blu-ray players on the market is that VUDU requires that the native 1080P/24 HDX programs to be converted to 60Hz by all Blu-ray players on the market according to OPPO Digital INC. The advantage of owning a 1080P HDTV with built in VUDU service is that TV manufactories are allowed to show the VUDU programs in multiplies of 24fps without a 3:2 60Hz conversion. It is a disappointment that VUDU forces Blu-ray player manufactories to convert the native 1080P/24 VUDU signal to 60HZ inside the Blu-ray player regardless of menu settings. I understand that many first generation 2005 and 2006 1080P displays will only accept a 1080P input at 60Hz and not 24Hz. However, the year is 2012 and most if not all consumer displays will now accept a 1080P/24 input. So hopefully consumers will complain to VUDU so that in the future Blu-ray players will have the option to switch between 1080P/24 and 1080P/60 when a VUDU HDX movie is being watched.

5. Improved Netflix video and audio quality on the OPPO BDP-103/105: The OPPO BDP-103/105 supports Netflix at 1080P quality with 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound. According to OPPO Digital INC the Netflix 1080P sources that they have seen so far are 60Hz but they claim the OPPO BDP-103/105 will support Netflix at 1080p/24 and output at native 1080p/24 when and if Netflix starts sending native 1080p/24 material instead of 1080P/60. Unlike VUDU, Netflix does not require 1080p/24 content to be converted to 60Hz inside the Blu-ray player. The old OPPO BDP-93/95 will not be getting a firmware update to support Netflix at 1080P with 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound (The old OPPO interface only offers Netflix 720P with 2.0 Dolby Stereo).

6. The OPPO BDP-103/105 might see more streaming services added in the future: The old OPPO BDP-93/95 most likely will not be getting any new streaming services or major improvements to the existing VUDU or Netflix interface. It’s unknown what new streaming services will be offered to OPPO BDP-103/105 owners in the future but Amazon might be a possibility but that is not official.

7. USB keyboards are now supported on the new OPPO BDP-103/105: According to my conversations with OPPO Digital INC consumers can now plug in a USB keyboard just like the latest Sony 2012 Blu-ray player. This is ideal for using services like YouTube or for searching the many thousands of streaming movies on VUDU or Netflix. It is my understanding that the old OPPO BDP-93/95 will most likely will not be getting USB keyboard support.

8. Triple USB 2.0 ports: While I would have rather seen USB 3.0 ports which are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 devices, it is nice to have 3 USB ports on the OPPO BDP-103/105. Consumers can plug in a total of 3 2TB hard drives at once for video and audio media reading. Another use would be to have a USB 2TB hard drive for BD-LIVE storage plugged into USB port 1 in the rear and then the wireless N adapter plugged into USB port 2 in the rear. That leaves USB port number 3 in the front free for other hot swappable media drives. Personally I am on a 100% wired 1Gbps network and prefer to use the Ethernet connection on all Blu-ray players. The old OPPO BDP-93/95 only offers 2 USB 2.0 ports (one in the rear and one in the front). Both the new OPPO BDP-103/105 and the old OPPO BDP-93/95 require FAT32 or older versions of FAT to be used for BD-LIVE reading and writing. NTFS is a read only file format on the OPPO BDP-103/105 and the old OPPO BDP-93/95.

There are most likely several new features on the OPPO BDP-103/105 that I have not mention in detail like:

Dual HDMI Inputs (For those that do not own A/V receivers with 4K upscaling they can feed HD satellite and HD cable HDMI inputs into the OPPO BDP-103/105 and use the OPPO Blu-ray player as a A/V HDMI switcher that will upscale to 4K).

MHL Input

Gracenote MusicID® and VideoID (This sounds like a cool feature that will display Cover art, title, and artist for audio CD’s played).

SMB/CIFS Access
    The following are select quotes from several email conversations I had with OPPO Digital INC

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the latest Mavell KG2H chipset. This chipset does not have the required data information required to transmit DSD over its built in HDMI transmitter. For SACD DSD you will need to use HDMI 2. You can connect HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to your receiver simultaneously, and just change the active input on your receiver to take advantage of SACD DSD.”

“The player only has 1GB of internal storage, with half of that memory being used for BD-LIVE. You can always augment the BD-LIVE storage with attached FAT16 or FAT32 flashdrives.”

“Only Profile 2.0 specifications have a requirement of the player to have 1GB of data. The Profile 1.1 specifications only require 256MB of storage, which we exceed. The player still supports the Profile 2.0 specifications as it can use external storage to meet the 1GB requirements.”

“BD-LIVE is completely accessible and usable with the 512MB of storage we have dedicated to BD-LIVE access. You only need attached storage if you find that this is not efficient enough.”

“512MB is used for internal storage and buffering; 512MB is used exclusively for BD-LIVE contents (Persistent Storage).”

“To protect your data, we support Read Only for NTFS. We will continue to support Read/Write for FAT32 drives so you can use them for BD-LIVE Persistent Storage, however.”

“The output resolution of the player is 3840x2160. This is a 16:9 pixel map.”

“YouTube LeanBack does not support 4K videos. This is only a function of YouTube proper. Even if we could get access to 4K YouTube streams, they would not work with the player as the decoder does not handle any native 4K sources.”
    “LeanBack has no control over the quality of the video. The video is output however Google decided that video should be streamed at. There is no end-user control over this.”

“Unfortunately no, as most services take over the player once we begin the stream so any OSD population is not allowed. Some companies, such as Sony, have massive clout and even force these companies to give them special UIs, but we do not have such liberties.”

“At this time we are still forced to decode Vudu at 60Hz. This may change in the future.”

“Vudu is still 60Hz. Every player that we have tested is also 60Hz, with only televisions seeming to support 24Hz.”

“The player will always de-interlace and scale to the output resolution and frequency, with Source Direct defaulting to 1080p/60Hz, unless the source is explicitly 1080p/24Hz on Netflix and is flagged as such in the stream and 24Hz Output is enabled under Video Setup. Otherwise you will be getting 60Hz.”

“If available, the player will output Netflix 1080p at 24Hz. Netflix only supports 5.1 Dolby Digital. They are not supporting 7.1 at all.”

“If 1080p24 Output is set to ON, and the Output Resolution is set to 1080p, and the source is natively 1080p/24 (we have not seen a source from Netflix which actually was), then the player will output 1080p/24Hz.”

“Vudu 7.1 is Dolby Diigtal Plus. 3D from Vudu is only available with HDx according to our own testing, but you will want to confirm with Vudu what flavors of 3D they have available.”

“Source Direct for streaming services is always treated as 1080p/60Hz. There are no plans at this time to allow for Source Direct from streaming sources as MTK has not allowing this ability in their SDK.”

“Yes, the player supports USB keyboards.”

“The primary purpose of the BDP-105 is that it has increased analog audio performance. The player also supports taking in digital coaxial, optical, and asynchronous USB, all three of which are absent from the BDP-103.”

“DivX Certification is ongoing, so we are not able to put these in the Specifications. It is unlikely that the player will fail certification, but we can't in good faith mention DivX or DivX HD Plus without the certification being confirmed.”
    OPPO BDP-103/105 4K frame rate info

According to OPPO Digital INC the new OPPO BDP-103/105 will convert 480i film based DVD’s to 1080p/24Hz, or 4K/24Hz when a 4K (Quad HD) display is connected (24P DVD conversion feature must be turned on). Of course native 1080p/24 Blu-rays will be converted to 4K at 24Hz when connected to 4K or Quad HD equipment.

Native 1080p/24 VUDU film based material and all other US video based material will be converted to 4K at 30Hz instead of 60Hz by dropping every other frame since HDMI 1.4 does not support 4K at 60Hz (50Hz not supported either with HDMI 1.4). Also International 50Hz SD and HD sources will be converted to 4K at 25Hz by dropping every other frame do to limitations with HDMI 1.4. Perhaps HDMI 1.5 might support 60Hz and higher frame rates. The first generation 4K and QUAD HD displays will only support frame rates of 24fps (Hz), 25fps (Hz), and 30fps (Hz) when a native or upscaled 4K (QUAD HD) signal is received. Perhaps second generation or future generation 4K and QUAD HD displays might support 4K at both 50Hz and 60Hz.

The following are select quotes from OPPO Digital INC:

Again, the player only supports 24Hz from physical media. No streaming service at this time is processed by the player at 24Hz. So all streamed services if scaled to 4K will be done at 4K/30Hz, resulting in dropped frames.”

“If the source is 50Hz the player will convert this to 4K/25Hz by dropping every other frame.”

“If the source is 60Hz the player will convert this to 4K/30Hz by dropping every other frame.”

“No display supports 4K/60Hz as this is not in the current HDMI 1.4 specifications.”
    Just got my BDP-103 yesterday from FedEx. Setup was a breeze - hooked right up to my wireless network and had things up and running in just a few minutes. Anyone who's used a BDP-93 knows that it's not exactly a speed demon - the 103 starts up and operates a *lot* faster than the 93. From moving through the setup menus to browsing externally-attached HDD to disc navigation - all operations are much snappier. From an initial checkout, I can't tell any difference in PQ/AQ (no significant change should really be expected with Blu-Ray media). I'll probably check out some DVD upconversion tonight ....
    Oppo BDP-103
    Toshiba HD-A35
    Panasonic TC-P55VT50
    Onkyo TX-SR705
    I just sold my region modded 93 on eBay for $475, these things really hold their value. And my 103 will be here Thursday!
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2
    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    I just sold my region modded 93 on eBay for $475, these things really hold their value. And my 103 will be here Thursday!
    Plis, it's why i am tempted to bite the bullet and buy the 103.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Plis, it's why i am tempted to bite the bullet and buy the 103.
    I'd definitely say it's worth the upgrade. I loved my BDP-93 ... Oppo support is legendary, and I never really had a single problem with it in over 2 years, but I always found it a little clunky and slow. The BDP-103 definitely is a speed demon in comparison. In the "Quick Start" mode, if a disc is in the tray, it's already playing by the time everything has switched to the correct inputs on the TV/AVR/etc ...
    Oppo BDP-103
    Toshiba HD-A35
    Panasonic TC-P55VT50
    Onkyo TX-SR705
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I'd definitely say it's worth the upgrade. I loved my BDP-93 ... Oppo support is legendary, and I never really had a single problem with it in over 2 years, but I always found it a little clunky and slow. The BDP-103 definitely is a speed demon in comparison. In the "Quick Start" mode, if a disc is in the tray, it's already playing by the time everything has switched to the correct inputs on the TV/AVR/etc ...
    Well right now I use my PS3 for blu rays and I've told the video quality is similar for both machines. I would really be buying the Oppo for region locked blu rays really. So I have to ask myself, do I want to spend the money for that
    Has anyone developed a region hack for the BDP-103 yet? I was under the impression that the hacks for older models were not compatible with this one (just as the hack for the BDP-83 doesn't work in the 93).
    Last edited by Josh Z; 10-10-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.