Default Best bluray player $99 and under?

Looking for a bluray player for my father for fathers day. Normally I would be all about spending a little more on a nicer player, but since I have real family responcibilites now I find my self in the position of not being able to afford anything beyond entry level.

With that in mind, what is the most solid bluray player for $99 and under? I would give preference to over all unit reliability over any amount of functionality. Thanks,
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD (1080p@24fps) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)
    Gotta go with that LG BD555C. Its $94 right now. It has LAN and is quite a zippy machine. I bought one for my parents. Also has a USB port and it plays ANY file. MKV, AVI, Xvid, DivX, etc etc...very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies
    Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    Gotta go with that LG BD555C. Its $94 right now. It has LAN and is quite a zippy machine. I bought one for my parents. Also has a USB port and it plays ANY file. MKV, AVI, Xvid, DivX, etc etc...very cool.
    We don't have that model, hence the "C" designation. OP, if you are looking for a player and nothing else, pick up the Panasonic DMP-BD75. Most places under $99 and well worth it. If you need to step it up to 3D, get a Panasonic DMP-BDT110. It's very close to your price point and also a top performer.
    LG 55LW5600 / Toshiba HD-XA2 / PS3 BD Slim / Panasonic DMP-BDT310 / Motorola VIP 2250 HD DVR / Onkyo TX-SR805 / JVC HR-S9900 / Sony DVP-NC685 / Klipsch Reference and Def Tech Pro 1000's

My DVD Profiler

1080i vs. 1080p--Less than meets the eye

Viva la HD DVD
    Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    Have had the very same problem with TWO different LG BD570's. Would NOT recommend this brand to anyone. They both, after about 90 days (conveniently after labor warranty expired) have developed issues with movies freezing at least once during playback. Old movie, new movie, regardless of studio, freezes at least once. They are on a power strip that's left off when not in use, get used to watch 2 movies a week.
    I hate LG for reliability, and Samsung can be twitchy as well. For pure unrivaled cheap quality, Panasonic is the way to go. I've installed about 30 of these players and not one complaint or issue has come up.

The price is right, you have plenty of options, and they are rock solid.
    AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology consultation during the build and installation process in the Washington DC, Northern VA, and MD area.
    When folks ask me, I generally have a discussion with them about what features they care about and what attributes they value in an optical media player. Then I point them at whichever Panasonic and/or Sony blu-ray players fit their needs, and suggest some sale price levels they should watch for.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs
    eBay for a ps3. you can get a slim for under $130. otherwise if you absolutely have to go the standalone route: I've owned 2 magnavox bd players that both stopped reading discs after 2 and 4 months each. my insignia is on its way out now its starting to freeze and skip on brand new discs and DVDs. my Panasonic BDT110 is still working flawlessly. i think someone else recommended this player as well. working for me....
    Need Xbox 360 Parts?
    We Got Em!
    XboxMan.com
    Cheap Parts. Fast Shipping. Period.
    From past (BD30) and current (BDT210) experiences, I'd go with a Panasonic player. Plays just about everything I throw at it. BD30 was heavily used for years with no problems whatsoever. Have had the BDT210 for a few months and basically have had no problems with it as well. Go for the current entry level unit (don't know the model number), should be under $100, will lack the extras found in the step-up models such as built-in wifi but will surely provide the same reliability nevertheless.
    Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even God has never seen.

We're breeding a race of moral midgets.
    Thanks everyone, yeah an eyebrow was raised with LG and I'm equally suspect of samsung for reliablility (even though yes I own one, and I would even recommend my player for price features). The thing is, I've been considering what to get my Dad for fathers day, and since my sister just got them an HDTV I thought a bluray player would be a good way to go.

That said, it has to be as close to a solid DVD like put in the disc and it generally just works experience. More over, it needs to be as simple to use as humanly possible. Panasonic & Sony sound like they might work out fairly well.

Also Iv'e seen Toshiba's BDX2200 player on amazon new for $95.55 with prime shipping, anyword on the reliability of Toshi bluray players? My toshi HD DVD expereince was and continues to be very positive in terms of general quality. I've had few hardware issues and virtually no issues running a disc. Has Toshiba maanged to maintain at least almost as good a track record with bluray (as is humanly possible) or have they fallen off the optical player reliability bandwagon?

Edit
    Incidently the PS3, no matter what version, is right out. I can tell you right now my father will never, in a million years, figure out how to play a movie on it.
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

I started with a Samsung BDP1500, never had any issues with it, upgraded to a Samsung C6500 but those are about $150 so that's why I didn't mention it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    I started with a Samsung BDP1500, never had any issues with it, upgraded to a Samsung C6500 but those are about $150 so that's why I didn't mention it.
    I started with the BDP1400, had constant issues... upgraded to a 1500, that was a whole lot better other than sony blurays would "double tap" as it were remote control commands with my Harmony remote. Currently run a BD-P2500 which is over all very good with optical media, although I dislike how the screen looks wrecked after playing a dvd (home screen that is). I also have issues with the built in netflix support, it hardly counts as working anymore...

This is why I liken Samsung to be the Alfa Romeo's of electronics products. They create very desirable goods, with terrific features for the price... But it's almost like they're designed to function briefly. Same went for my windows mobile samsung smart phones, etc.
    HDM Count - Hopless

Quote Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
    Also Iv'e seen Toshiba's BDX2200 player on amazon new for $95.55 with prime shipping, anyword on the reliability of Toshi bluray players? My toshi HD DVD expereince was and continues to be very positive in terms of general quality.
    To the best of my knowledge the Toshiba BD players are essentially off the shelf components, probably from China, with a Toshiba badge on the case. Relatively speaking, probably not in the same league as the Toshiba designed HD DVD players.

Considering today's prices, not much reason to skip the more glitch prone Samsung and LG players and go for Panasonic or Sony. Sure Samsung and LG usually throw more features in, but its just more plumbing to get clogged up. Besides Panasonic and Sony have cranked up the features pretty well too. My BDT300 streams Netflix and Vudu very nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
    To the best of my knowledge the Toshiba BD players are essentially off the shelf components, probably from China, with a Toshiba badge on the case. Relatively speaking, probably not in the same league as the Toshiba designed HD DVD players.

Considering today's prices, not much reason to skip the more glitch prone Samsung and LG players and go for Panasonic or Sony. Sure Samsung and LG usually throw more features in, but its just more plumbing to get clogged up. Besides Panasonic and Sony have cranked up the features pretty well too. My BDT300 streams Netflix and Vudu very nicely.
    Thanks for that phil, honestly in a way I'd almost prefer a feature deprived player as any feature you throw in will only serve to confuse the heck out of my father.
    HDM Count - Hopless

Quote Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
    This is why I liken Samsung to be the Alfa Romeo's of electronics products. They create very desirable goods, with terrific features for the price... But it's almost like they're designed to function briefly. Same went for my windows mobile samsung smart phones, etc.
    I hear ya there. Their 6500/5500 series apparently play almost everything from a memory stick or hard drive but Samsung being themselves, they made a FW update and broke AAC audio. Getting past the Level 1 support people to tell them they messed it up requires an act of God. My Samsung tv won't let me adjust the HDMI Black level (it's ghosted out) and Samsung won't offer any help on that, they say it's normal. If it's normal why is it listed, or most importantly, how/why is it on a calibration sheet from tweaktv.

Back on topic - it has been my experience with Sony products that unless you pay major bucks you get junk, they just don't know how to compete with lesser cost markets. A Sony for less than $99 and good quality, ha ha ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
    Toshiba = Samsung when it comes to Blu Ray for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Toshiba = Samsung when it comes to Blu Ray for the most part.
    Ew, well that's even worse than I realized.

I think I'm just going to stick with buying and recommending Panasonic when possible. Quality seems to be good and they're pretty good about firmware and feature updates.