Default BD Player attached to old CRT TV?

I know this is sacrilege, but is it even possible to hook up a blu-ray player to an old CRT television? We're wondering about upgrading our back room in pieces, rather than taking the bigger hit of upgrading both TV and player at the same time. I figure two things are needed:

1) The physical connections between player and TV...I think the standard A/V jacks (left, right, video) probably exist on both?

2) The ability for the BD player to send the signal in SD instead of HD...I'm not really sure if they typically offer this, since in the past I've only been focused on HD for our front room setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstallard View Post
    I know this is sacrilege, but is it even possible to hook up a blu-ray player to an old CRT television? We're wondering about upgrading our back room in pieces, rather than taking the bigger hit of upgrading both TV and player at the same time. I figure two things are needed:

1) The physical connections between player and TV...I think the standard A/V jacks (left, right, video) probably exist on both?

2) The ability for the BD player to send the signal in SD instead of HD...I'm not really sure if they typically offer this, since in the past I've only been focused on HD for our front room setup.
    Yes any Blu-ray player can be connected to any TV that currently has a standalone DVD player connected to it. Just remove the DVD player and replace it with a BLU-RAY player. I know of several people that replaced all there DVD players with BLU-RAY players so they could build a BLU-RAY movie library that could be watched anywhere in their home.

To get the best quality from BLU-RAY a 1080P display is needed. Connecting a BLU-RAY player to a 480I CRT will only offer a slight improvement over a 480I DVD player when watching BLU-RAY's (The bit rate for audio and video is higher on BLU-RAY which results in less digital artifacts) . The BLU-RAY player will down convert to 480I over the standard composite, S-Video, Component, and HDMI when the resolution is set to 480I. Some old CRT TV's are 1080I quality.

All BLU-RAY players can downconvert to 480I. Some new models lack the 480I S-Video jack but all player still have the 480I composite jack.
    The composite connections will only output 480i on any blu ray player so despite being downgraded to dvd quality, it should work just fine.
    : 435: 1040
    Ah, debt... I know thee well.
    Ok, thanks! That was our main issue...we have blu-ray discs that we cannot watch in the back room because we just have a regular DVD player. Good to know that we can cheaply upgrade back there, and still have the main room for the "best quality" viewing. We don't really have the need to go all out in the secondary room, which is partly why we were hesitant to upgrade both TV and player together.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstallard View Post
    Ok, thanks! That was our main issue...we have blu-ray discs that we cannot watch in the back room because we just have a regular DVD player. Good to know that we can cheaply upgrade back there, and still have the main room for the "best quality" viewing. We don't really have the need to go all out in the secondary room, which is partly why we were hesitant to upgrade both TV and player together.
    Personally, I would recommend you upgrade the 2nd TV to a 1080p set before worrying about a blu-ray player back there. I expect you are not going to be terribly motivated to watch a blu-ray title via a composite video connection to a CRT based TV - it is a very poor quality video interface and going to be pretty disappointing.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs
    Since you won't benefit from HD until you get both, why not just save the BD money until you can also upgrade the TV? Then you'll have a newer, better, less expensive BD player when you eventually do go HD.
    For someone that wants to build a BLU-RAY movie collection and rent movies on BLU-RAY there is nothing wrong with upgrading all the DVD players in ones home to BLU-RAY players. It gets expensive to purchase a BLU-RAY and DVD copy of every movie one wants to collect. For around a $130 a profile 2.0 BLU-RAY player like a Panasonic can be purchased.

Then one day when consumers are ready they can upgrade all the TV's in their home to 1080P. I know people that started out with several BLU-RAY players on a 480I CRT screen and then about a year later they upgraded to a 1080P Pioneer display.

Some people started watching BLU-RAY's on a computer with a 24 inch 1080P monitor and then went to a large 60 or 50 inch 1080P display with a standalone BLU-RAY player.

Default Works fine

I have 2 Blu-ray players, 1 attached to a projector in our main living room - and one to an old CRT (it is widescreen though) in our games room. The latter works just fine, as you say, it means we can watch any of our movies (BR or DVD) on either`TV. When the CRT dies we then have the player we need for the HDTV which will replace it.

Hmm - not sure when that will be - it has soldiered on for something like 10 years to date. Really like the old thing - it has two tuners built-in so you have PiP, side-by-side viewing of two stations, channel search - all sorts of goodies
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    For someone that wants to build a BLU-RAY movie collection and rent movies on BLU-RAY there is nothing wrong with upgrading all the DVD players in ones home to BLU-RAY players. It gets expensive to purchase a BLU-RAY and DVD copy of every movie one wants to collect. For around a $130 a profile 2.0 BLU-RAY player like a Panasonic can be purchased.

Then one day when consumers are ready they can upgrade all the TV's in their home to 1080P. I know people that started out with several BLU-RAY players on a 480I CRT screen and then about a year later they upgraded to a 1080P Pioneer display.

Some people started watching BLU-RAY's on a computer with a 24 inch 1080P monitor and then went to a large 60 or 50 inch 1080P display with a standalone BLU-RAY player.
    Here's a slightly different perspective:
    1. The OP did not suggest he was purchasing movies in 2 different formats because of this secondary CRT based TV.
    2. Blu-ray player features continue to evolve and create new requirements (ie. 3D, HDMI 1.4?) so buying when you do not really need it can turn out to be risky.
    3. Blu-ray player prices continue to drop - very significantly at certain times of the year . .

My personal advice on the matter remains - do not worry about a blu-ray player for that back bedroom TV until you have a HDTV back there. If the DVD player used back there craps out, by all means - replace it with a blu-ray player in anticipation of having a HDTV there someday. Other than that, there is no need to rush into an early blu-ray player purchase.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs
    David, a new TV (HDTV) is in your imminent future, please, get on it!
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    <<< 3DDD!!! Way to go Baby! >>>
    => Click Me!
    I got 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'LOTR EE' Trilogy, & 'Avatar 3D' (without the Panny TV).
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
    => Audyssey FAQ