Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default What's the use of BD-Live?

What's the use of BD-Live? For example, I just watched Kung Fu Panda again and checked the BD-Live and it is the same as when I bought the BD several months ago. Wasn't the main advantage of this interactivity to have content added over time? Or am I missing something?
    Well I think a good answer is the Transformers bluray which got 10 or more new speacial features video in the run up to the sequal of the film. Or Disney BD-Live which has been constantly evolving with new features added to the system, or Uni/Sony/WB which are doing the same... For instance the Lord of the Rings HD trailer which was added to TDK.

So you see, it's difficult to judge the value of BD-Live based on a single disc.
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD (1080p@24fps) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post
    What's the use of BD-Live? For example, I just watched Kung Fu Panda again and checked the BD-Live and it is the same as when I bought the BD several months ago. Wasn't the main advantage of this interactivity to have content added over time? Or am I missing something?

meh, and it's nothing we couldn't download using more regular methods. BD live is a stoopid gimmick and I hope it eventually gets dropped.
    I recently got my BD connected to the internet and was playing around with some of the BD live features on some of my discs.

I'm most impressed by the additional features for THE DARK KNIGHT. In addition to that I love the LORD OF THE RINGS trailer and the FACEBOOK connection. I think that connecting to social networking sites such as Facebook/Twitter/Myspace are exciting prospects.

On my GLORY disc, I connected to Sony's portal and while I feel there can be some definite improvements, I did like the promo for MOVIE IQ, where you'll have access to an always updated database of movie facts. I do admit being suprised how little Sony actually has on their webportal given how agressive they've been.

I connected my BOURNE discs to Universal's website and while there is not much for Bourne, there are some nice previews for upcoming titles, though all in SD. However i'm anxious to see any additional uses.

With all 3 it does seem their is a community/chat option which seems to have potential when scheduling events, though tapping away on a remote is not my sense of excitement.

Have yet to have a disc that can connect to the Disney portals so I don't know what's available there. Does Paramount/Dreamworks even have a portal and does FOX/MGM?
    Quote Originally Posted by davcole View Post
    I recently got my BD connected to the internet and was playing around with some of the BD live features on some of my discs.

I'm most impressed by the additional features for THE DARK KNIGHT. In addition to that I love the LORD OF THE RINGS trailer and the FACEBOOK connection. I think that connecting to social networking sites such as Facebook/Twitter/Myspace are exciting prospects.

On my GLORY disc, I connected to Sony's portal and while I feel there can be some definite improvements, I did like the promo for MOVIE IQ, where you'll have access to an always updated database of movie facts. I do admit being suprised how little Sony actually has on their webportal given how agressive they've been.

I connected my BOURNE discs to Universal's website and while there is not much for Bourne, there are some nice previews for upcoming titles, though all in SD. However i'm anxious to see any additional uses.

With all 3 it does seem their is a community/chat option which seems to have potential when scheduling events, though tapping away on a remote is not my sense of excitement.

Have yet to have a disc that can connect to the Disney portals so I don't know what's available there. Does Paramount/Dreamworks even have a portal and does FOX/MGM?
    nobody taps in chat messages on their remote, we all use our laptops check out my movie night thread stickied in this forum, and in my sig. It has instructions on how to access a web based text entry portal for all studio's that have implemented movie chats. Works out a lot better.
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

Quote Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
    nobody taps in chat messages on their remote, we all use our laptops check out my movie night thread stickied in this forum, and in my sig. It has instructions on how to access a web based text entry portal for all studio's that have implemented movie chats. Works out a lot better.
    Seems I need to invest in a laptop...lol. Or get the one that I have fixed. Seriously, thanks for sharing and that does open up a lot for a movie discussion after a community viewing.
    Laptops are a dime a dozen these days! Heck you can get full laptops for netbook prices!
    HDM Count - Hopless

Quote Originally Posted by davcole View Post
    I watched TDK yet again last night and I also did the Facebook linking. I don't really understand the purpose of doing so though. It seems like it just reproduces your profile page from the WB BD-Live website (which is kinda empty *cough*) into your Facebook.
    My DVDProfiler List My Hi-Def List
    Equipment: LG 42PC1D, Toshiba HD-A3, Sony PS3
    : 33
    : 24
    So studios can keep track of what you watch and bombard you with numerous advertisements for their products and sponsored products.

Oh, and its a way to trick you into thinking you are getting 'extra' content when infact it could very well fit on the disc but they rather you view a handful of their advertisements first. Rare exceptions when new content is created after the title has been on the shelf for more then a month (Transformers for example).
    Well I did enjoy THE DARK KNIGHT features on James Newton Howard's Harvey Dent theme and his and Zimmer's collaboration at the screening.
    Regarding the chatting, can a PS3 owner connect a keyboard and chat from there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Columbo345 View Post
    I've heard they can, but PS3 owners who have participated in movie night have found it's far better still to use a computer (laptop) to access the studio's web page and type from there. Check the movie night thread for discussion on this topic, I beleive there were comments posted there about it.
    HDM Count - Hopless

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo345 View Post
    I use a wireless Logitech combo on the PS3; works great!
    If it's not on the disk I don't bother checking it out anymore. The only exception to this has been with the Disney animated films which have such nicely designed online interfaces that they're worth a look at least once. Also, the trivia features included on movies like Wall-E were actually fun, and back when the movie first came out I was rated first on a couple of the leaderboards. Haven't checked the results in a year though so I doubt I'm still there.

: 441 - Most Recent: Jurrasic Park Ultimate Trilogy
    : 210 Retail - Most Recent: Resident Evil 6
    : 13 Retail - Most Recent: Gran Turismo XL
    Wii: 11 Retail - Most Recent: Geometry Wars

WTB:

My For Sale Items

Check out what My XBox 360 thinks of my Gaming Habbits Here

hd dvd Great Opinions

This topic has been discussed on a number of occasions. However, I will put my two cents in it. At first, I thought BD-Live was awesome. You could interact with friends during the first release of a film. You could interact with the makers of the film via a live feed at times. You can get direct content from that particular studio. Moreover, it was a great feature. Stop.....

BD-Live can be achieved without being named BD-Live. Meaning, after the hype of the linkage to facebook, linking with the studio, and downloading additional content, I'm happy to say the studios should get rid of it. A good examples is as follows. Let's say Transformers 2 is released tomorrow. Now, you want to sit down and enjoy it in it's 1080p and 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. Man, here come the annoying part. Richard's(your friend) has purchased it too. Now his head pops up in the corner and you're in the middle of your favorite scene of the movie and Richard starts talking. That is so annoying. It's like having a backseat driver directing you in the car. Please, I don't need Eibert laughing and critiquing the movie while I'm trying to enjoy it. This is horrible. LOL....

We don't need to call it BD-Live because it's not really live to me. To be honest, you're really linking to the studios server at any given time and you can always view the online features online even from six months from the release of the Blu-Ray. I know it's a matter of opinion, but here's my point and just my opinion. I would rather see the upcoming Lord of the Rings' extended addition versus the studio adding the BD-Live feature. I would buy this upcoming set just for more pure content of the movie versus some BD-Live junk. I'm not saying all BD-Live is bad, but goodness gracious. Stop taking our money and not giving us the complete movie(all of the movie and horrible HD transfers) versus BD-Live wastefulness. I still respect everyone's opinions. Just get rid of this feature and just pack it on anyway as a normal feature in the extras menus.