Default Best 3D format to use

I bought my 3D TV, a Mitsubishi WD-73738 73-Inch 3D DLP, but only got my glasses a couple of weeks ago. My TV has four format options of Auto, Side by side, Top/bottom, and Checkerboard (I'm assuming most 3D TVs have the same).

I'd like to know what is the best format to use but in hopes of keeping this from becoming a smackdown thread I will ask my question like this:

In your experience what 3D format have you found to be the best?

The question can actually be broke down into several:

In your experience what 3D format have you found to be the best for viewing 3D Blu-rays?

In your experience what 3D format have you found to be the best for viewing 3D channels?

In your experience what 3D format have you found to be the best for converting 2D content to 3D?

In your experience what 3D format have you found to be the best for playing games in 3D?

That's the only questions I can think of now.

I looked at the sticky thread here but didn't find any answers to my questions.

Thanks in advance for any answers I receive.
    Project-Blu: the new stop for Blu-ray reviews, news, articles, insider info,and the Amazon pre-order page.

Project-Blu on Facebook: Come and "LIKE" us.
    You should just be able to put it on auto, that way it will detect anytime it is getting a 3D signal.

As far as picking a setting, we are restricted to whatever the source is (that is why auto works the best).

Most 3D blu-rays will be checkerboard.

Broadcasts and downloaded video will usually be side by side or top/bottom.

If you have a blu-ray player that converts to 3D it will probably be checkerboard.

Video games can vary, but I think most would need checkerboard.

I have the 73838 BTW.
    PSN: PuppyPuncher
    Another way to sum it up would be, when watching 3D you see:

2 images next to each other, set it to side by side.

2 images stacked on top of each other, set it to top/bottom.

1 blurred image, set it to checkerboard.

Auto should detect this and display it on its own, but let's say you are viewing a downloaded SBS file, you might have to set SBS manually.
    Anyone with a model xx738 or xx838 Mitsubishi should set Blu-ray player input to Full HD. That is because these sets support the full HDMI 1.4a standard, unlike many other Mitsubishi models. (I'm assuming that the sets have had the firmware upgrade to support HDMI 1.4a.)

It should be noted that while the input format will be Full HD, the display format on all Mitsubishi DLP rear projectors, including these models, will be checkerboard format. Checkerboard format is half-resolution (full HD to both eyes but half-resolution to each eye -- somewhat like the old 1080i format) but the checkerboard pattern used for the left- and right-image pairs does a very good job of disguising the resolution loss.

And the reputation of DLP with respect to ghosting and crosstalk (namely, there isn't any) is well-deserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
    As far as picking a setting, we are restricted to whatever the source is (that is why auto works the best).

Most 3D blu-rays will be checkerboard.
    No Blu-rays are encoded in checkerboard format. Blu-ray 3D discs are authored in "frame packed" format, with two 1080p images stacked one on top of the other. This is then received and decoded by the display into whatever format the display uses.

Checkerboard is a DLP display format.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    No Blu-rays are encoded in checkerboard format. Blu-ray 3D discs are authored in "frame packed" format, with two 1080p images stacked one on top of the other. This is then received and decoded by the display into whatever format the display uses.

Checkerboard is a DLP display format.
    I know this, I was saying the setting we would use is checkerboard.