Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last>>

Default 3D Blu-ray for rent

Not sure if anyone has seen this new site for renting 3D Blu-ray movies (3d-blurayrental.com). They are the only game in town I'm aware of that is doing this. There is a good thread about this new rental service at the AVS forum. I've successfully rented 3 movies from them
    Last edited by damanc; 04-06-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Id consider this not smackdown material but on second thought its more smackdown than any of psound's threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elee s View Post
    Id consider this not smackdown material but on second thought its more smackdown than any of psound's threads.
    Sorry if it was not suppose to be on smackdown. If there is somewhere else it should go, let me know.
    Last edited by damanc; 04-06-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elee s View Post
    Browsing the 3d-blurayrental.com site, it is a fascinating snapshot of the state of 3D blu-ray rental at the present time, one year after the first 3D blu-ray players came to market.

46 blu-ray 3D titles available for rent.

Avatar 3D rental is $30 (with a $120 deposit).
    How to Train Your Dragon rental is $20 (with a $100 deposit).
    Ice Age - Dawn of the Dinosaurs rental is $15 (with a $60 deposit).
    Others at $8 rental (with $40 or $50 deposits).

Yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by damanc View Post
    Not sure if anyone has seen this new site for renting 3D Blu-ray movies (3d-blurayrental.com). They are the only game in town I'm aware of that is doing this. There is a good thread about this new rental service at the AVS forum. I've successfully rented 3 movies from them
    Good find damanc!
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by towergrove View Post
    Good find damanc!
    Please see Mikes post right above yours.

Good find?
    The deposit does not bother me if I was inclined to rent a Blu-ray 3D title that other wise was going to cost me a bunch of dollars that I was going to watch only a few times. Seems to be an interesting option but those kinda prices or deposits are not likely to be something most consumers would consider.
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter
    I've only demoed out Blu-ray 3D equipment so I have no desire to buy or even rent Blu-ray 3D titles. But I assume that Netflix nor anyone else rents Blu-ray 3D titles so this would be the only option for their rental then?

If so, a credit card deposit fee and an $8 rental fee might be something many people with a Blu-ray capable setup might consider if they are enthusiasts.
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter
    High margin, low volume niche market.

Not too different from the "Premium VOD" offering. The great thing about the market is that there are multiple ways to cater to different customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by towergrove View Post
    Good find damanc!
    If your looking for 3D rental and not to purchase then yes a good find. I would not pay those prices though.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.
    So you would send a new website $60+ to rent a 3D BD? Alright...
    It reminds me of the Laserdisc rental policies you would see back in the late 80's in the few stores that offered to rent the discs.

Kind of shows just how little interest there really is for "3D" right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
    Do you think that "DVD" would have seen anything at all approaching the same level of overall success from 1999 to 2007 if the format had simply been "DVT" (Digital Video TAPE) which was nothing more than another VHS sized/shaped format (one with players backwardly compatible to VHS) that offered ZERO benefits over VHS other than the increase in resolution to 720x480?
    Cool, I'm glad some of you find this helpful. I myself have jumped all in for 3D and was disappointed to find that you cannot rent 3D content until I found this site. The deposit does not bother me since they are very good at refunds once they receive the movie back. The AVS forum seems to have some very happy customers with 3d-blurayrental.com. Maybe someone here can give it a shot and post their experience (besides me of course
    Those prices are . . . . INSANE!!

Just buy the titles you want then resell them on eBay. Your out of pocket cost is definitely going to be less then those sky high rental prices being charged.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
    Thanks for your input. Let's say you buy a $30 3D bluray movie. With taxes, it comes out to about $32 bucks. You sell it on ebay for $15-20 bucks and they charge you about 10-12% fees between ebay & paypal. So you make out about $13 - 17 bucks from eBay. That's still about $15-19 dollars difference than what you paid....plus if you add shipping cost and time spent selling on ebay, its not worth it for me. I'd rather just pay $8 for the rental....simpler, easier, and cheaper. Just my point of view