Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657
    malakai is offline Member

Ghost in the Shell last night, Kong: Skull Island tonight.

For Ghost in the Shell, I thought it was OK. I never got into the anime for whatever reason, even after trying to force myself into it, but the movie wasn't difficult to get into. I thought the ATMOS track was pretty good, that is, until I heard the Kong: Skull Island DTS-HD track, and that just blew GITS's soundtrack away.

As for the 3D in GITS, I'd say that it really doesn't add anything to the viewing experience. It's OK.

For Kong: Skull Island, wow, one of the best 3D conversions I've seen in a long time, probably one of the top 5, beating out most of the Marvel stuff I've seen. There is some fast panning here and there and complaints about some of the scenes not being bright enough for effective 3D, but I didn't find any of that bothersome at all. There was a lot of planning here, with a lot of stuff being thrown at you, and a lot of depth in many of the shots. I mean, this film pretty much looks like it was shot in real 3D.

The soundtrack is awesome in this film, with a shit-ton of surround panning and stuff that gave it a real 3D 'sound' experience. I haven't researched how well this one did at the box office or anything, but as far as 3D films go, I'd say it's one of the big winners, in terms of 3D effectiveness, in 2017. It's a film I could probably see watching again one day, with company, and not have to worry too much about it boring them or not giving them a good 3D, action/adventure, or sound experience. GITS, however, it's probably more of an acquired taste...

Over the last four or so days, I've watched Flight of The Butterflies, The Last Reef: Cities Beneath the Sea, and September Storm. None are really worth raving about. I mean, the IMAX stuff had some amazing 3D shots...

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2... Wow, another great 3D conversion. This one beats out the first GOTG 3D conversion by a large margin, I'd say.. Most of the shots seem to cater to 3D, and since it was so CGI-ridden, a good majority of the film almost feels like it's native 3D. The soundtrack is great too, but damn, they only gave you a DTS-HD option for the blu-ray and 3D discs. If you want ATMOS, you have to play it in 2D 4K.

SilentBob is offline Member

KONG: SKULL ISLAND 3/5
    PQ: 4.5/5
    3D: 4.5/5
    AQ (2D Atmos): 5/5
    AQ (3D DTS:HDMA): 4/5

Yeah I watched it twice and overall I did enjoy it better the 2nd time around much better than my first viewing. I watched in 2D first with my friend (gets headaches from 3D viewings) on Wednesday and then I watched it in 3D tonight with my cousins husband. I found the added depth and draw distance really helped establish just how big of a threat the world and the creatures there really are. Good scene to show that off was with a spider in a bamboo forest. Still I overall felt a slight bit disappointed with the film because I didn't connected with our heroes too much. It is a B movie and at times it knows it cause you got Sam Jackson slowly going crazy and sputtering out one liners. Some from past monster movies he has done (Jurassic Park and Deep Blue Sea) Plus at times the CGI I found nice and realistic and then showed a slightly more obvious cartoony look with Kong. I wish they made hi. More realistic through and through, but maybe that will change when he meets Godzilla in a few years (plus we do learn he is still growing) Anyways the picture quality was overall good with a slight soft look to establish that 70's time era, but thought it looked sharper with the 3D. Which was a nice presentation but wish we had a little more fun with some in your face objects. Now the audio side is good too simply amazing, but we get screwed on that amazing Atmos track on the 3D disc. The Atmos track which is on the 2D disc is simply stunning right from the opening credits and them ceiling speakers never seemed to take a moment off throughout the entire film. It is simply a demo disc waiting to be shown off to family and friends. Now the 3D disc is still a good sounding movie but even with Neaural:X added to the 5.1 DTS track it couldn't replicate the discrete, and pinpoint accuracy that the Atmos track provided. Plus the LFE didn't seem to have the same oomph to the many monster battles. Overall a fun monster movie rental which is better seen in 3D. Also stay/skip to the end of the credits for a nice bonus scene

POMPEII 1/5
    3D: 4.25/5
    AQ: 5/5

This, this was a pretty bad movie. Dialog was bad, acting sort of hammy and the story was just trying its best at being a Titanic love story out of truly nothing. The 3D was overall good but then flat at times. Some cool floating out of the screen particle effects and at times good draw distance with destruction raining down on the city, but I guess I expected maybe a bit more. At least the audio was pretty strong with very active surrounds, and strong bass action with the volcano slowly coming out of its slumber. Still, stay the hell away from this film. Thank god I only paid $6 for it

KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD 2.5/5
    3D: 4.5/5
    AQ: 4/5

I wanted to like this movie but my gawd it is a mess of a film. It was more style than substance, but I did like some of their take on the mythology. Especially love the taking of the sword from the stone. Anyways the 3D presentation was an overall impressive outing, with the occasional medium to strong pop out scenes included. With many instances of small debris or ambers floating out towards the audience. The audio was good but expected more, and I wonder how much the 2D Atmos track would of improved of action itself. So a good 3D disc but barely worth a rental really

BOSS BABY 3.5/5
    PQ: 5/5
    3D: 5/5
    AQ: 4/5

Well I liked and had a few more belly laughs than I was expecting for kids film. Liked the blend of the 3D with some 2D like elements throughout the film. The 3D is very impressive with some tremendous depth from simple camera angles looking from an above ceiling view onto a room. Too some very fun 3D pop scenes like the darts from a dart gun being fired to baby drool dropping into your eyes. The audio served the movie well, but seemed to lack something to elevate the action. Would of had some fun Atmos scenes if that was included with the bluray (only on the UHD disc) So fun for adults and especially for kids.
    DVD/HD-DVD/BLU-RAY/UHD COLLECTION
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

JVC X950 4K e-Shift 3D Proj w. 106" screen
    Marantz sr7010 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4

GAME SYSTEMS: PS3, PS4, WiiU, XBOX ONE, SWITCH

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter... Man, what a waste, after already seeing it in 2D. A combination of sub-par 3D and dark, gritty video just made it a very mediocre experience... not to mention how they changed the origin story... The production value is just not there... it should have been more like afterlife, which was the last 'good' RE movie... So, I guess I bought this just to say I have all of the RE 3D films o blu-ray... lol

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657