Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
    SilentBob is offline Member

MISS PEREGRINES HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN (3D)
    MOVIE: 2/5
    3D: 3.25/5
    PQ: 4.5/5
    AQ: 4.5/5

I fell in love with seeing this movie since they released the first trailer, and so Good Job trailer. This story is sort of all over the place in where it wants to go tonal wise. Is it going to be like Harry Potter, Twilight to some degree, kids monster movie, X-Men or Pleasantville like ending. I like 4 out of the 5 options and they used all 5 and just never came together. At nearly 2hrs it tend to run a bit slow and didn't really pick up until the last 20-25 minutes of film when they started to use their abilities against the bad guys. The video looked pretty good and sharp, even with a dark colour palette at play. The 3D i didn't think was fully utilized to its full potential, but got some cool moments when the bees fly out of the kids mouth to the time loop moment in the rain. Everything else was just a low to medium added depth to the video. Thankfully the audio was no slouch and was consistently active, but had my receiver a little higher than i normally have to watch my films at. So another disappointment from Tim Burton, and this seemed like a strike character wise for him. Although watch out for his very brief cameo in the final wharf battle sequence. So sadly i would have to say SKIP IT
    DVD/HD-DVD/BLU-RAY/UHD COLLECTION
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

JVC X950 4K e-Shift 3D Proj w. 106" screen
    Marantz sr7010 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4

GAME SYSTEMS: PS3, PS4, WiiU, XBOX ONE, SWITCH

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE 3/5
    PQ:4.5/5
    3D: 3.5/5
    AQ: 4.75/5

Hope people weren't expecting award winning performances or script here. This was just a fun sequel not taking itself too serious. Most of the original cast appear again in small or still major roles. Sure we rinse and repeat stuff from the first movie but it's a Roland Emmerich film and he has cities to destroy. The video overall looked got, although a bit dark at times but nothing crushing black wise. The audio was pretty much what I expected it to be. Loud and booming but I can't help but wonder what overhead speaker placement would of done to enhance it even more (getting there soon) The 3D was overall nice, especially during flight battles but wish they could of had a little more fun with it as well. Again the best scenes could of been better had they popped a bit or had some Ghostbusters like fun and break the black bar playing field. Overall I say it's an enjoyable Rental
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

malakai is offline Member

The Mad Magician, Pardon my Backfire, and Spooks, the two Three Stooges shorts that came with this film. The Mad Magician has always been touted as Columbia Pictures ripoff of House of Wax. The plots are completely different, although Vincent Price is the star of both, but they tried to copy the look and feel of House of Wax. I guess they changed just enough stuff to not get into any legal issues but wanted the success of House of Wax.

I personally liked House of Wax better than this film, although I'd say they should probably be rated about the same. I think House of Wax did a slightly better job with the 3D stuff, especially the opening scenes, where all of the wax figures had such a well thought out placement, for excellent 3D layering. Knowing how good that film handled layering makes me want to see a proper 3D release of Treasure of the Four Crowns, because there are some scenes in that flick that should look pretty killer in 3D.

The Three Stooges shorts were in surprisingly pretty good condition, and they had a lot of depth. There are a lot of popout shots as well.

SAN ANDREAS 2/5
    3D: 2.75/5
    AQ: 5/5
    ATMOS: 5/5

Rinse and repeat 2012's movie destruction sequence in California and add even more cliches to the script, and there you have San Andreas the movie. I like my disaster movies but there wasn't much if anything at all that hasn't been done in other movies before. We get lots of destructive moments but are very quick overall. I guess that would be like a real quake, but if you are pushing the boundaries on the story. Then i want to see my destruction last longer than a couple of minutes and cut to more ducking/covering for shelter. The 3D wasn't anything special i though they could of had lots of fun with the debris flying at/falling down on you. (after what i heard Peyton did with Journey 2: The Mysterious Island with again The Rock staring in it) Sadly they just seem to use it more as a window to expand the landscape further back. Although this was my first movie watching in my new Atmos 5.2.4 setup and that was REAL NICE Unlike the 3D wishes i got them in spades with the Atmos raining down debris over my head form glass, concrete or even airplanes. So i guess you can see me saying SKIP IT
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

DOCTOR STRANGE 3.5/5

3D: 4.5/5

Many compared it to Tony Stark and his venture into the world of superheroes and I overall agree. An arrogant Doctor on top of the world has it all taken away and must fix himself to become a better man. Ok, not exactly but they are both arrogant SOBs. The movie I found had a slow journey into the art of mystic realm of power, but once he has almost mastered it. The action picks ups and so does the pace of the movie. Visually this thing is stunning from the VFX and to the amazing 3D depth/layers presented here. Wish we had more pop outs but the depth still worked great, especially because it would open up for a good portion of these scenes to an IMAX 1.90:1 ratio. Big boost in clarity and pop to the image because of it. I know Jungle Book looked great and won the Oscar for VFX, but this should of won hands down. It was like watching Inception but to extreme with a psychedelic drug added for your viewing pleasure. The audio was overall great with plenty of surround mix action, deep bass throughout but again the vocals seemed a bit low for my liking. Either way it is a nice edition to the Marvel universe, but try to watch it in 3D. It's not a ploy, it actually works wonders for the creative multiverse worlds it inhabits.
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

Doctor Strange... what the f did I just watch? That's all I could think when the credits started to roll... I guess I'll try to watch it again, probably in 2D, just to see if I can figure some of this movie out, because the first go round put me to sleep about 15 times.. Yeah, I got the whole story about the jackass doctor that got into the crash and messed up his hands and journeyed on to become a sorcerer or whatever they call themselves.. but damn...

Orlando88 is offline Member

The Jungle book last watched on 3D format. Much enjoying .............

Chronicles of a Ghostly Tribe.. hmm I don't know what to make out of this one.. Pretty good 3D conversion, but not really any popouts, not the best SX but a lot of SFX... Pretty good surround soundtrack... The story was kind of crap though and a bit boring. This is the type of film that you may see a trailer for and think it'll be good, but it really isn't too good. It's maybe something like you'd see as a Syfy original movie. Alien cats?, guardians of a tomb, a curse... Doctor Strange meets Pacific Rim? I don't know... lol

Call of Heroes... Very good depth. I'd be surprised if this was a conversion. I'd say it's much better than the last film I watch, Chronicles of a Ghostly Tribe, but it does seem to slow down at places. It could have had 20 minutes or so taken off of the runtime.. I still like The Four 2 and 3 better than this one though.

SING 3.5/5
    PQ: 5/5
    3D: 4/5

It aint anything new but sometimes that is a good thing. It is a simple formula of a movie plot but it still works. I found it entertaining, laughs for the kids and adults, some good songs with impressive singing from actors/actresses you didnt know could sing. The video quality is solid (like most Animated films) The 3D was good but not Illuminations best. Didnt seem to have as much fun with the pop outs like they did with the Despicable Me films or even their last one Secret Life of Pets. The audio i thought was pretty damn good and even better with the added Atmos overhead sound. Some great moments from flyers flying through the city, a car chase which has the car flying over the camera(you) and to a helicoptor scene near the end of the movie. What can i say, I'm still a big kid at heart and liked this movie.
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM 4/5
    3D: 5/5
    AQ: 5/5**

I had seen the movie when it was released in theaters back in November. I remember loving the 3D presentation and thinking "This should be a demo disc when it's released" Thankfully WB answered my prayers. . . . for the most part. I remember enjoying the movie but not loving the film. I would of had the film at a 3.5/5 but have now upped it to a 4 with my home viewing. Like i said earlier, they did a heck of a job with the 3D for a conversion and translated well to disc. Now here is where WB could of gone a bit further. Many people hated the new Ghostbusters, but there is no denying the 3D presentation was amazing. With constant film breaking of the black bars from creatures and other energy beams material escaping them. WB did the same thing for this movie but for IMAX shows only, and we never got that release on this 3D disc. So I'm disappointed that they didn't provide that for us 3D users. The other thing was that they didn't include the **Dolby Atmos track for the 3D disc, but on everything else. Many of their other 3D titles got the Atmos treatment but for some reason skipped this one. Still i must admit, if i didn't have an Atmos setup. The DTS-HDMA track still kicked plenty of ass for sub action and constant speaker engagement. So the disc is amazing, but it seems like WB gave us the Mogul version, and not the magical film breaking/Atmos track filled disc a true wizard could accept.
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

THE WALK 4.5/5
    AQ: 4/5

Took me long enough to watch my copy but i'm glad i did. I really enjoyed the movie and the desire of this man's dream to walk the cable between the Twin Towers. I know they dramatized a few elements but a huge chunk of it was real and have proof of actual event too. JGL i thought did a great job and was worthy of a few acolades for his performance. I thought the disc was overall pretty good too, video was clean but a little soft looking to set the era of the film. The audio i didn't think was anything too special but for once i didn't need to consistantly adjust the audio so i could hear what the hell they were saying (although the subtitles might of helped) As for the 3D, it was good and then stunning when we see him looking down from the wire in the end. Great sense of depth, with a few cool pop outs here and there. Maybe I've been spoiled by other recent 3D presentations t garner the film a higher 3D score, but it must be seen for sure with his final act. Plus i think that was one great and simply powerful ways to end a movie
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

JUPITER ASCENDING 3/5

It is one messy film that is also filled with action movie cliches one after another. Yet, i still found myself enjoying this hot mess of a film. Kunis is a reincarnated being who pretty much created the human race which live on several planets throughout the universe. Turns out the Wackowski's have something against the human race. We were batteries for The Matrix and a soylent green bathing juice here. Its pretty much a reference disc fir the picture and sound. Great consistant overhead speaker action, which really shined in the Chicago escape and grand finale. I found the 3D pretty good, nothing really poking out at you but always showing a great use for beyond the screen spacial depth. So I know it is confusing, messy and cliched action movie, but its a guilty pleasure i'm willing to admit too.

The Legend of Tarzan (3D) 3/5
    AQ: 4.75/5

Not a bad movie really, just a bit slow pace wise. The audio was pretty good with nice use of the ceiling height speakers for the included Atmos track (you remember when you could include the Atmos track on a 3D discs Warner Bros?) The 3D was ok but nothing stellar, some ok depth and a few small pop outs or poking of some spears/guns towards the audience. So I guess it added a bit to the film, but overall they could of done a bit more. Soft rental recommendation

KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS 4/5

Been dying to see this movie for some time now, but for some reason Canadians were screwed out of a 3D release. Way too expensive to import stateside (import fee, shipping cost, $30 and the exchange rate on top of that) So I imported from the Amazon UK site once again and saved a bundle. Anyways the movie I thought was well deserving of its Best Animated Picture nod for last year. I find Laiki studio hit or miss movie wise but they all have a more adult feel to them from tone and kids being more grownup compare to the actual grownups. I'm a fan of the stop motion and this stuff is top notch stuff and wonder if this s why they also got a SFX nod last year as well. The picture quality was amazing, but the 3D overall lacked the punch i was expecting from the movie. It has its moments from his paper origami magic creatures coming to life abd a brief moment in the end with a sword pertruding just a bit towards the audience. The audio serviced the movie well, but i think i have heard better and more emmersive tracks on other animated films. Still i cant recommend this movie enough for everyone to check out, but it's not be the kids movie that some are expecting

WARCRAFT 2.5/5
    ATMOS: 4/5

Finally watched my copy of Warcraft Thought the movie had its moments but was sort of ho-hum for my taste. I'm a gamer but have never gotten myself involved with Warcaraft and i guess that might of helped a bit for my enjoyment. My brother who loves playng the game kind of briefed me on the story lore. Anyways the 3D i thought was overall good but worked more as a window into the vast world with only the occasional sword/boomstick poke here and there. The overall PQ was stellar and pretty damn detailed and i guess it is to be expected with it being mostly CGI. The audio was overall good but again the vocals seemed a bit low at times for my viewing, but used the Atmos to its advantage pretty nicely but could of been a little more involved. So fans might like the movie, but for non gamers. You might not get the full enjoyment of the what they were setting out to do. . . . for the gaming fans.
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

The Lego Batman Movie 3.5/5
    3D: 3.75/5

A fun movie that enjoyed making fun of itself and the many forms Batman has taken over his many years. Some great laughs but also has a few moments where the story kind of lags/lacks the high energy set from the beginning of the film. The 3D was pretty good but at times wish the could of pushed the boundaries with the action a bit, same with the first Lego Movie. Would of been great if the old fashion 60's Bam! Whap! and various other sound bubbles came flying at you out of the screen. The audio was overall good, but wish it had a bit more bass and a proper Atmos track Warned Bros. Still loved them mouthing off all the guns shots with the pew!pew!pew! So a recommend from me
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

Passengers.. Not much to say about this film.. mostly forgettable

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556