Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
    SilentBob is offline Member

MISS PEREGRINES HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN (3D)
    MOVIE: 2/5
    3D: 3.25/5
    PQ: 4.5/5
    AQ: 4.5/5

I fell in love with seeing this movie since they released the first trailer, and so Good Job trailer. This story is sort of all over the place in where it wants to go tonal wise. Is it going to be like Harry Potter, Twilight to some degree, kids monster movie, X-Men or Pleasantville like ending. I like 4 out of the 5 options and they used all 5 and just never came together. At nearly 2hrs it tend to run a bit slow and didn't really pick up until the last 20-25 minutes of film when they started to use their abilities against the bad guys. The video looked pretty good and sharp, even with a dark colour palette at play. The 3D i didn't think was fully utilized to its full potential, but got some cool moments when the bees fly out of the kids mouth to the time loop moment in the rain. Everything else was just a low to medium added depth to the video. Thankfully the audio was no slouch and was consistently active, but had my receiver a little higher than i normally have to watch my films at. So another disappointment from Tim Burton, and this seemed like a strike character wise for him. Although watch out for his very brief cameo in the final wharf battle sequence. So sadly i would have to say SKIP IT
    DVD/HD-DVD/BLU-RAY COLLECTION
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:
    Sony 40ES 3D Proj w. 106" screen, Marantz sr7010 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
    GAME SYSTEMS: PS3, PS4, WiiU, XBOX ONE

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE 3/5
    PQ:4.5/5
    3D: 3.5/5
    AQ: 4.75/5

Hope people weren't expecting award winning performances or script here. This was just a fun sequel not taking itself too serious. Most of the original cast appear again in small or still major roles. Sure we rinse and repeat stuff from the first movie but it's a Roland Emmerich film and he has cities to destroy. The video overall looked got, although a bit dark at times but nothing crushing black wise. The audio was pretty much what I expected it to be. Loud and booming but I can't help but wonder what overhead speaker placement would of done to enhance it even more (getting there soon) The 3D was overall nice, especially during flight battles but wish they could of had a little more fun with it as well. Again the best scenes could of been better had they popped a bit or had some Ghostbusters like fun and break the black bar playing field. Overall I say it's an enjoyable Rental
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

malakai is online now Member

The Mad Magician, Pardon my Backfire, and Spooks, the two Three Stooges shorts that came with this film. The Mad Magician has always been touted as Columbia Pictures ripoff of House of Wax. The plots are completely different, although Vincent Price is the star of both, but they tried to copy the look and feel of House of Wax. I guess they changed just enough stuff to not get into any legal issues but wanted the success of House of Wax.

I personally liked House of Wax better than this film, although I'd say they should probably be rated about the same. I think House of Wax did a slightly better job with the 3D stuff, especially the opening scenes, where all of the wax figures had such a well thought out placement, for excellent 3D layering. Knowing how good that film handled layering makes me want to see a proper 3D release of Treasure of the Four Crowns, because there are some scenes in that flick that should look pretty killer in 3D.

The Three Stooges shorts were in surprisingly pretty good condition, and they had a lot of depth. There are a lot of popout shots as well.

SAN ANDREAS 2/5
    PQ: 4.5/5
    3D: 2.75/5
    AQ: 5/5
    ATMOS: 5/5

Rinse and repeat 2012's movie destruction sequence in California and add even more cliches to the script, and there you have San Andreas the movie. I like my disaster movies but there wasn't much if anything at all that hasn't been done in other movies before. We get lots of destructive moments but are very quick overall. I guess that would be like a real quake, but if you are pushing the boundaries on the story. Then i want to see my destruction last longer than a couple of minutes and cut to more ducking/covering for shelter. The 3D wasn't anything special i though they could of had lots of fun with the debris flying at/falling down on you. (after what i heard Peyton did with Journey 2: The Mysterious Island with again The Rock staring in it) Sadly they just seem to use it more as a window to expand the landscape further back. Although this was my first movie watching in my new Atmos 5.2.4 setup and that was REAL NICE Unlike the 3D wishes i got them in spades with the Atmos raining down debris over my head form glass, concrete or even airplanes. So i guess you can see me saying SKIP IT
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556